Pages

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Bernina 730 Record

Another "Get in the car, we're leaving now!" machine, this 730 in really fantastic condition awaited me just 20 mins. from home.  The seller was selling for a friend and knew nothing, thus the $60 price and the swiftness and pleasantness of the transaction.  The detached seller is a true gift.




From the same era as my 640-2-11, the 730 has a funky Volkswagen Bus vibe, what with its rounded squareness, WWII nostalgia color scheme of beige and olive drab (despite supposed Swiss neutrality), and its utilitarian, no-nonsense controls.  It's a charming design, rather like the unfortunate cousin who actually manages to look pretty if you squint from just the right angle.  While it may not look especially large in pictures, it's actually a full-sized machine: tall, slightly narrow in depth but wide.  Harp space is generous and the light points directly to the needle area.




Controls for width, length, and an interesting 4-position needle bar control (L, L/C, C, R) are fairly obvious as are feed dog, stitch selection (zig-zag through decorative is 0 - 20 -- Bernina numeration begins with zero) and the right lever enables the following arm across the cam stack.  Tension is controlled via dial and small indicator window near the top thread trough.  An especially interesting feature is the stitch formation indicator, telling the user at what point in the stitch the machine is sewing.  This enables perfectly linking various patterns without guessing, as a new portion of a pattern (such as a new diamond in a diamond pattern) begins when the indicator is perfectly centered on the line in the window.  Mechanical and very clever.  A built-in buttonhole function means that together with the width lever, a buttonhole of any length can be sewn in one step providing the width lever is switched at the appropriate steps while sewing.





Everything is present except a knee lever and the case.  The stair-like storage bin includes a fair number of original Bernina presser feet and original bobbins.  (The 730 takes class 15.)  The extension bed is inserted and withdrawn easily and without damaging the free arm.  The motor is not especially powerful at .84 amp but the inclusion of a speed override to allow for slow, precise sewing is a nice touch.  It works flawlessly.  Bobbin winding is hidden under its own top right door.

It's easy to see (and feel and hear) why Berninas of this era are so highly valued.  This machine runs really beautifully: smooth, quiet, and makes perfect stitches.  It's almost as good as a Kenmore.
  

8 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure I have a knee lever in that box of Bernina stuff I have. It's yours if you want it. I saw that machine listed and wondered if you would go get it. The price was certainly hard to beat! :) Lovely find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting a reputation. :D Yes, I couldn't resist at that price and the seller, she was great. If you don't need the knee lever and if it fits this machine, I'd be happy to pay for it and shipping. Let me know if it has a part # and I can do some research. Thanks so much for the kind offer!

      Delete
    2. Arrggghh, I cleaned and now I can't find it. I'll let you know if it resurfaces. I do, however, have the circular sewing attachment for the 830. Would that fit a 730?

      Delete
    3. I never clean and I still misplace stuff. Huh. Maybe I should try cleaning. (Kidding, I do clean.)

      No hurry, no worries. I'm not sure about the circle attachment. I've seen them for other brands and I think I have a Kenmore version but never for Bernina. I'll have to do some more research! :D

      Delete
  2. A great find! Old Berninas have such a smooth, melodic stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do. Though oscillating, the hook has a quiet sound that's mechanical, not tinny. I'll have to post some pictures of the insides. Seeing 20 steel cams in a stack is pretty impressive!

      Delete
  3. Hi there! One of these machines came up for sale in my area and I’m thinking of buying it. Question is... is it hard to find replacement parts for it? I’d hate to fork over $200 and have it break and not be able to fix it. Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Liz. This machine is very common and easily found. I have not shopped for parts for it (hasn't needed them, thankfully) but their commonness indicates that parts shouldn't in theory be difficult to find. I would scout eBay for a few days and search for 'Bernina 730 Record parts' and see what you find.

      The 730 is a tough machine and with normal use should last many years. It's not all-metal, though. Make sure you check the insides, noting the integrity of the nylon cam gear (very visible from the top of the machine). Turn the hand wheel as you're looking at it and note any flaws. If there is any part that would need replacement, this is probably most likely. Replacements are available, I believe -- but I'm not sure of the difficulty of the operation. Check YouTube for tutorials to get an idea.

      Good luck with your Bernina adventure. They are wonderful machines!

      Delete