Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Jiffy J-2000 Garment Steamer

About two months ago I purchased a Rowenta hand-held garment steamer with integrated lint brush.  I've used it twice on a couple of wool items (coat and suit) but haven't been terribly impressed.  The problem is that it simply doesn't produce much steam at all.  This is fine between dry cleanings but not very effective for normally laundered clothing, i.e. 99% of what I wear.

A recent conversation at Peter Lappin's Male Pattern Boldness blog queried readers about garment steamers: Iron or Steamer.  I've been casually looking for a steamer for a while and figured I would probably buy a new Rowenta at some point.  In reading some of the comments at Peter's blog, several readers mentioned the Jiffy steamer as the non plus ultra and further investigation (blogs, clips, reviews) confirm that this is the brand to buy.

I found a used one on CL for a good price and am now the proud owner of a J-2000, considered Jiffy's top-of-the-line home steaming unit for garment and household steaming.


I've only tested it twice and I intend to put it through its paces and give a full review in due course.  However, I'm very pleased with it.  I considered a J-4000 (the larger, more powerful, commercial steamer) but couldn't find a used one at a price I thought was reasonable and many reviewers thought the J-4000 was overkill for home use.

The J-2000 heats fully in about two minutes and produces plenty of steady steam.  The unit I purchased is fitted with the plastic head which is the cheaper version, although there is a much more expensive metal/wood option that's very handsome and lends a very professional touch.

Distilled water is recommended as are cleaning at regular intervals.  Jiffy makes a cleaning solution but I've read that adding several tablespoons of white vinegar to a full tank will do the trick nicely.  This will dissolve and eliminate mineral buildup within the unit.  Vinegar is also a very good cleaner for fabric and will help combat odors.  (The smell of vinegar itself dissipates pretty quickly.)

As other reviewers note, there is a technique to using the Jiffy most effectively, primarily steaming from the inside of a garment and maintaining a constant direction so that the fibers will behave consistently with heat, moisture, and drying.  I'm still experimenting but I've found that angling the head nearly parallel with vertical fabric, touching the top edge of the head only, achieves the most consistent results.

Is a steamer worth the money and time?  Yes.

Does it replace an iron?  No.

How is a steamer best used?  
  • To extend a garment's wearable length of time in between laundering and ironing
  • Wrinkle removal
  • Odor and soil mitigation, particularly heavier fabrics that are not easily laundered although such materials take more time and effort
  • Excellent freshening for thinner, softer wovens and knits; less successful on thicker fabrics
  • Fabric preparation for sewing: prior or in-between stitching when pressing is not needed or desired; shaping or manipulation of fabric or fibers
A steamer will replace your iron somewhat if you need your clothing to be wrinkle-free and cannot iron for every occasion.  However, it's not a substitute for pressing and ironing.    

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this is awesome. You just did a whole bunch of homework for me, thank you. My younger daughter works in retail as is always telling me how much she would like to have a steamer like the one they use in the store. I have been looking for one for her but had no idea what to get (and never went back to read all the comments on Peter Lappin's blog post). I will keep an eye for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. I'm willing to go the extra mile to bring you the best in home convenience and professional results.

      Delete
  2. This article your very interesting.
    Thank you for giving me more information.
    find this

    ReplyDelete