Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Elna 3 Flat Bed Straight Stitch

I'd like you to meet Smellna, a recent arrival.

This machine wafted into my life, my heart, and my nostrils -- not in that order -- after a long trip in a driving rain storm.  (The rain was driven and I was driving.)  Although not far for a sewing machine, the trip was arduous and thus all the more lengthy.  Ghost Riders on the Storm was perhaps my metaphysical soundtrack that day as I met not only the Man With No Name but the Seller With No Clue.  He was friendly but the hopes of what was to be a 4-machine sale were quickly dashed -- only one machine included the power cord and pedal despite the ad's assurance that all of these machines 'power up and run.'  Ah, well.  My Husqvarna Viking ship will sail into my harbor another day.

Undeterred, he proudly pulled a beat Emdeko case out of his car and placed it on the trunk, rain still pouring.  (I'm soaked right down to my underwear at this point and yes, I was wearing a coat.)  Uncovering a machine whose fragrance no rain or outdoor air could possibly mitigate, raindrops formed rivulets into all port and openings, watering the case's crop of mildew to a bloom I could barely stand on the way home.  I bought it partly out of not wanting to come home empty-handed and partly because the machine intrigued me.  It still does.






The seller purchased it at a Washington State surplus dealer.  Though I'm not certain, this machine was possibly among a fleet of machines used in home economics courses taught in various education institutions (likely discontinued in favor of more useful skills such as analysis of rap lyrics).   

Collectors, take note: this is potentially quite the treasure trove if one knows where to buy.   

That my state's educators would choose such a machine slightly raises my rather low expectations of them: a student being exposed to a useful skill utilizing a tool chosen for its quality and longevity rather than price or insider contract on the public dime?  Be still my olfactory.  (Yes, Smellna stinks.)

The machine is a straight stitch only with reverse and is capable of sewing with a double needle.  With a friction drive rather than via belt or gear from the motor (although a cleated nylon belt connects both the lower and upper drive shafts, thus controlling the hook), this model is essentially a glorified rotary.  True to Elna engineering, it's fast and powerful.  Unfortunately, a friction pulley flattens as does a tire, causing a clunking or whining or pounding or any of the above and Smellna is likely the noisiest domestic machine I've ever run.  

I managed to extract the leftmost spool pin from the cover, as it was rusted/grimed into its Down position.  This took one day of kerosene drops at regular intervals, then pliers over a silicone hot pad and muscle, turning slightly, then pulling straight out.  I polished with Maas and it's now smooth.  

Other issues:
  • Needs rewiring from the plug to pedal.  I plugged it in to run it but not for long as this is really not safe.  I'm out of 18g so off to the big box I go.
  • Bobbin plate has a loose screw.  (Don't we all?)  Fixing requires unscrewing the entire lower casing -- something I haven't had time to do.  
  • Bobbin winder is inoperable.  It has a few parts missing and I'm not certain what they are.  One is a spring.
  • I need to pull the motor and clean the brushes of carbon, polish the commutator, and test for SPM.  It's a fast machine but I sense it's not at top speed.

Despite the reek and the questionable provenance, I like this machine very much.  A prime candidate for finishing school, Smellna has a simple charm and power all its own.  Time is all we need.  For just $10, this experience has been a silver lining. 

4 comments:

  1. Whoa. That was a story.

    Does the machine itself smell or just the case? I wonder if Febreze would work. That is the only stuff that has ever been able to get the smell of concrete form oil out of my husband's work clothes. It IS a lovely machine. I do love those straight stitchers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both smell but the machine has an odor all its own. Kind of hard to describe but as I've aired it out, it's slowly lessening. And cleaning certainly helped. I may try Fabreze, although the Fabreze they use at Value Village makes my eyes water. I think I might also try cotton balls soaked with a few drops of essential oils.

      Yeah, this is a nice machine -- the only one of these I've ever seen. (The zig-zag and free arm versions are much more common.) Once I get the issues solved, I'd like to find an original case and controller.

      Delete
  2. I'm kind of fond of that musty smell that my Featherweight has--it reminds me of my great-grandmother's house, but I am weird that way. :) Hopefully this will dissipate.

    I'll be curious to know what the provenance of this machine is, if you are able to find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odors are like all things -- this too will pass. :)

      I'm trying to find out more about the machine itself. I belong to the Yahoo! Elna group and am doing the search dance there. (Don't you just love that site's "search" functionality? >:( That whole Neo-based file organization is terrible.)

      I think the school surplus supply chain is likely where this machine originated and I'm interested in gettin' me some o' dat. :D

      Delete