Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Pfaff 130 No. 4

Another $10 130?  Yep.

But let's put this one into perspective.  It's filthy.  It's rusted.  It's crazing.  I'm crazy.  It's covered in varnish and it's almost frozen.  Is it salvageable?  Yes but it's going to be a lengthy process and I think this is the last project machine in a long time.  I've become faster and more proficient at the process but Pfaffs are notoriously dodgy, as their biases are so tight that they'll freeze if you wear cologne around them.

Here it is, many parts removed:



(Sorry for the bad lighting.  It's dark and dreary here.)

The owner left the machine in an unheated house in a really sketchy 'sunroom' whose roof leaked.  Thus, the machine sweated and froze repeatedly and the tension, etc. are rusted and the clear coat and paint are crackling.  There is dirt in every crevice as well as evidence of spider habitation.  (Too bad spiders spin rather than sew.)  They had left a spool of thread on the right pin and in the heat the plastic spool melted onto the machine:


I'm going to have to pry it off but very carefully so as to avoid taking the paint off with it.  (I managed to get some off but my plan of softening the plastic with mineral spirits has not worked.)  I've removed the tension completely and have yet to completely disassemble:



You can see that I've begun to clean it as it is.  If I can polish the check spring as-is, I may just soak in alcohol and then brush with kerosene.  The crevices between the fiddly bits need soaking but if I can polish what's reachable, I may not need a complete tear down.

Here is the hand wheel/washer/set screw/clutch assembly:


Here, I can use soap and water (and Bon Ami) on the Bakelite wheel as it has no metal.  The other parts will soak in alcohol (Who knows -- I may join them and get soaked in some alcohol, too) and get a thorough brushing, then polishing with Maas.

I haven't started on the most notorious part of all: taking apart the width knob.  I am going to hate it but on this particular 130 it's unavoidable: the thing is frozen solid despite repeated dousing of kerosene.

So, that's my Christmas Eve eve.  Grocery shopping later (including the extra large bottle of rubbing alcohol -- or gin, whichever is cheaper) and more Pfaff pfrustration.

I hope you're having an exciting holiday with friends and family.  I'm up to my ears in smelly rags and soiled Q-tips, kerosene and polishing grit.  At least I can crank the music.



11 comments:

  1. Wow. That looks like alot of work. Real pretty machine though. Enjoy your holiday, rags and all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. I'll toss some TR-3 into the egg nog and toss back a few for you! :D

      Have a great Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's a big project, no? *sigh* I saw the ad and couldn't resist.

      A couple of weeks ago, you expressed interest in a vintage sewing cabinet (on Pfaff 130 no. 3). I managed to snag another very cool one: no chair but has an integrated machine lift. This one was included with the Pfaff 360 no. 2. I'll send you pictures -- stay tuned! It's very mid-century and really cool.

      Delete
    2. Ooooo, integrated machine lift. :)

      As for the Pfaff, who I am to cast stones? I mean, really, I have 12 machines sitting on my office floor that need work of some kind. And the most satisfying projects are the ones that look like lost causes. This will be worth it, I know.

      Delete
    3. When I began tearing it down and soaking in kerosene, the thought crossed my mind to simply light it and walk away. Or turn around, walk away, and toss a lighted match behind me like Clint Eastwood. But I couldn't find my poncho or my hat so here the machine sits. My other 130s are in such beautiful shape that I'm actually glad I found one that is in good but well-used condition: I can enjoy seeing it and using it but not worry about scratching a near-pristine finish. And after all this quality time together we will have bonded. But I'm keeping my matches close, just in case.

      Delete
  3. Is it possible to buy a clutch washer for the 130 from any source? Thanks, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, John. Try eBay, looking under 'Pfaff 130 parts' or 'Pfaff 130 clutch' or something like that. You may have to wait a while until a suitable listing appears. Or try asking one of the sellers of other 130 parts if they have the 130 clutch washer.

      Another option is to join an online Pfaff group such as found at Yahoo! (groups.yahoo.com) These groups are created to put Pfaff owners in touch with one another for this very reason.

      Good luck and I hope you find your washer!

      Delete
  4. Had mine running well a couple of months ago, took it out to sell and it was frozen stiff!
    The motor can hardly turn it now, the zz dial turns free but the handwheel is very hard to turn at the start of the down stroke , any suggestions
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. For tom carbone; full synthetic zero weight motor oil. Does not varnish like natural mineral oils. Not expensive, i get a quart in auto parts dept at walmart and fill my sewing machine oil bottles. And if petroleum oils smell yukky to you like they do to me, synthetic smells much better too. I cant find a complaint. I have dozens of machines and swear by it.

    ReplyDelete