Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Singer 503A

I have three machines currently on the bench: a Kenmore 30-stitch made by Janome, a Pfaff 130, and this little number: the Singer 503A.

I've never been too interested in acquiring one of the Rocketeer models, yet I saw one in a local Value Village and stood in front of it for several minutes: Worth the effort or not?  I checked the price tag: $6.99 minus a 20% discount.  Well, here it is finally getting some needed attention.

When I initially brought it in the house, I set it aside for about 2 weeks.  My friend Janet mentioned the Rocketeer in her blog and I became curious: Don't I have one of those?  Why yes, I do.  No attachments were included save a zig-zag foot and the zig-zag cam but it came in a cheapie Singer table and both original knee and foot controllers were included.

I plugged it in and it runs.  In fact, it runs quite well.  It's very fast and has very little vibration, is strong, and makes a pretty stitch.  The zig-zag isn't wide but it's precise.  This would make an excellent primary machine in a sewing studio, especially if lots of denim and twill were on the agenda: 8 layers of Levi's like buttah and I didn't even replace the needle that was on the machine. 

It had and has some issues:
  • Filthy.  Not smelly but dusty and splattered with unidentified substances.
  • Bobbin winder tire in the process of shredding and shedding.  The machine's interior surface was covered with tire flakes.
  • Broken right cover hinge (right, as you face the machine's front).
  • Large paint bubble on bed that has broken, revealing the metal beneath and a number of smaller dings where the broken hinge provided a wrestling match with thumbs various and sundry.
  • Label glued on the back reading: REPOSSESSED MACHINE.  I considered removing just the RE.  I'm now in the process of trying to remove the whole thing.  The skin underneath my thumbnail is sore.
  • Original spool felts are loose, as the double-stick on the pin anchors was attracting every bit of lint within 2 feet, yet the felts wouldn't stay.







The exterior is clean and I've oiled and half-assedly greased it.  The interior is cleaner.   Yeah, I missed a few spots but it's one heck of a lot better than it was.  I've ordered a set of vintage hinges so the top cover will be operating as it should.  The bobbin tire has been replaced but I think it's just a shade too big so I'll be ordering several of the correct size.  The light bulb works.  Tension has been adjusted, top and bottom (and I've always found Singer tensions to be fiddly and tend to vibrate out of adjustment; this one is no exception).

Do I invest in the Singer LBOW touch-up paint kit (over $30) or leave that for the next owner?  (I'm not keeping this one.  I'm just here for the educational experience and life enrichment.  And the refreshments.)  If I were repairing a steady stream of similar Singer machines, it would be well worth the cost but I'm not a Singer fan (although I like this machine much better than I thought I would) and hardly ever see them priced in my bargain basement range.  Hmmm, what to do?

 

  


    

7 comments:

  1. Also--and I think this is hysterical--one of my Rocketeers also had a REPOSSESSED sticker on it. I kid you not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? Your machine was REPOSSESSED? LOL WTF?? Did they offer them like toaster ovens to those who maintained a bank balance of $50 or less? What are the odds? How strange! Maybe this is a sign that it was meant to be yours so if you want it, let's make it happen! (Now I have to REALLY clean it. :D)

      The hinges won't be here for a week or two and I'm debating a touch-up paint kit. I definitely need a better bobbin tire, though; I'd be embarrassed to sell a machine (especially to a friend) with a mismatched tire.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'll have to check and see if it was the Rocketeer I kept or the one I gave to my friend's grandkids. Maybe there was some kind of subprime sewing machine credit meltdown in the 50s?

      After the Necchis, these Rocketeers are my favorite machines. They just SEW and they do it well. I use mine fairly often, especially when I am doing something other than straight stitch. I buy these when I see them, which admittedly isn't as often as I would like.

      Really, if you have other ways to spend your time, you don't have to clean it up. I have a supply of bobbin tires. Hopefully by the time we meet again, I will have a Pfaff 262 or something equally cool for you.

      Delete
  2. I always like the space age look of those Rocketeers. Never sewed on one, but those that like them really like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're good machines. Better than I expected although I don't recall why I didn't have a very good opinion of them before I actually sewed on one. I'm impressed by its speed and stitch quality despite the weaker motor. Gear-driven, I suppose. I got this one for next to nothing and was surprised it had the power cord/pedal, let alone that it actually sewed right off the bat. Once cleaned up a bit it's not in bad shape, either.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete