Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Kenmore 158.18023 No. 3

Some machines exist such that upon purchase, a legitimate question might be whether their purchase is machine or reputation.  In my case and just two days ago, I yet again seized the opportunity to buy another Kenmore 1802(3), my third.  Is this a blog or a confessional?

I'm not even very good at sin but the virtues of the subject at hand are about as straightforward (and now, straight-stitched) as one might wish were a habit, Catholic or no.  The 1802 series of machines are legendary amongst the Kenmore faithful.  After an Annunciation of sorts on CL, I scurried to that modern manger (the suburban office park with no room for the Subaru and a hike in the rain) and middle manager who accepted the pittance for my Indulgence, this mint green beauty that came home with Papa:





The machine is in near-mint condition except three tiny paint dings on the bed, another tiny one on the pillar, and a missing plate insert: the niftiest Kenmore contribution to ornament our cultural firmament.  The 1.2 amps are suitably smooth, yet slightly growly.  The attachment tower is complete: presser feet, tools, monogrammer, 30 cams, buttonholer.  It even includes the chain stitch attachment.

Why did I buy it?  Because it's in great shape, was inexpensive ($35 for this much mass-produced sewing greatness may not seem a screaming deal until one sews with an 1802), and it was close -- just 15 minutes and a bitter, officious receptionist away.

Besides the missing insert, the width knob needed a slight tightening to keep its place without vibrating to a smaller or wider stitch while sewing.  The seller informed me the machine has, like, totally major tension issues.  I smiled and agreed that the problem was potentially gnarly.  With my stash of odd thrift store fabric remnants growing each month, this machine will be put through its paces.   

I confess to an adrenaline rush every hoarder feels to his/her bones.  My drug of choice, I suppose.  I recently read a CL advertisement for a Bernina whose author stated she felt bad owning 3(!) machines.  What a strange world we live in.  


7 comments:

  1. I absolve you. FWIW. :) What a deal. You'll pay almost as much for a replacement plate insert as you did for all that swag. Now I think I want to get my Kenmore (I only have one, LOL) out and play with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In your case, I believe I was preaching to the choir. :) (Thus, I greatly appreciate your absolution.) Kenmores have a high fertility rate -- you'll wake up one morning and several will have appeared. They're especially active during driving season. Bless the beasts and their children, right?

      Delete
  2. I can just imagine going to confession and saying "Forgive me Father for I sinned, I coveted three sewing machines this week". LOL
    Beautiful Kenmore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine more than one priest has heard that or a similar confession. Were I a parishioner, he'd hear it every week!

      It's a beauty, isn't it? Beautiful design and in fantastic shape. I'm seeing more bloggers feature Kennies so we're ahead of the trend.

      Delete
  3. Another machine you have piqued my interest in. I bought a Kennie 1914 from reading your post. Got a good price on it. IN L.A. and CL they can go for as much as $450. A far cry from what your able to find them for. It came with everything. Qfoot, chain stitch attachment. I am either going to hug you or clobber you if I keep this up!!!! (no clobbering, violence is messy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $450?? That's...too much. (I'd go the eBay route before I'd pay anything close to that amount.) I like that you Angelenos appreciate their value but I'd be very happy to ship you a Kenmore if you need another.

      I should mention that I only buy the Kenmores that are about $50 or less. Many in the Puget Sound region try to sell theirs for more but I see them on CL for months, unsold. Thrift stores are an excellent source -- machines and attachments.

      If we ever have the chance to meet, I'll be sure to wear a helmet. Heck, I might be able to make one by that time!

      Delete
    2. I might take you up on that!! This 1914 has been fun and I enjoy all the cams. The other machines seem to like the new addition too, so we are one big happy family

      Delete