Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Kenmore 158.541

I'm not sure there are rules re. collecting anything including machinery but I've learned over the last few years that down to a certain price point, I can always find the same item for less. All I have to do is wait.

Now, this machine isn't exactly the same as my 158.540 (there are some cosmetic differences) but it appears to be mechanically identical with all the great features a 1960s Kenmore includes: 
  • 1.2 amps
  • Double needle capable
  • Built-in buttonhole drive 
  • Reversible plate insert for zig-zag/straight switching
  • 5mm width
  • Cam assembly
  • Automatic bobbin winding
  • Interlock light/power 
  • Incremented plunger-style pressure control
  • All-metal: cast iron body, steel parts
  • Aggressive dogs for heavy-duty sewing
  • Feed dog drop
  • Reverse feed (and timed to match Forward almost exactly)
It has a few small dings but is in great shape, especially the wiring.  Even the case (a vintage '60s Sears pressboard trapezoid) is very decent.  Pretty, isn't it?





The last picture shows an inserted cam -- an E-type cam, to be exact.  Kenmore made cam assemblies in different sizes, different width capabilities, and with different numbers and styles of following arms.  The 541 is a single-arm mechanism that follows the lowest layer of a 2-level flat disc (E) cam.  This means that the stitch design you see on the top of the cam is produced by the layer on the opposite or lower side of the disc.

The 541 and several other models of this era are essentially straight stitch machines until you add cams, including zig-zag stitch, i.e. there is no built-in zig-zag.  It may seem an odd design decision but it makes perfect sense in that so much workhorse sewing is straight.  By limiting zig-zag to a following arm instead of including an internal cam mechanism, manufacturing is somewhat simpler.

These Kenmores are some of my favorites, including the fantastic 158.1503; if you sew a lot of denim, they are an excellent choice.

3 comments:

  1. And this particular model is just so cool-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I think I lost a comment earlier this morning, so apologies if this is a duplicate. First, I love your blog. Second, I have recently caught the vintage sewing machine disease as a fairly new sewist with a long-time fascination with the machines. I'm in the Bay Area and have been starting to look for a vintage, metal machine. I had in my mind I was looking for a 1970s-era Kenmore. My mom sewed on an Elna 62C when I was growing up, as far as I can tell from sight-memory. Love your post on that one too. But there's something about the vibe of the Kenmore brand that I thought would be practical and durable and right for me.

    So, I was in Austin, Texas last weekend, in a neighborhood with many thrift stores, and I had a gut feeling there would be something for me. I walked into one 5 minutes before closing, and there was a lovely Kenmore Model 54 in its cabinet, with complete boxes of attachments, cams, and buttonholes that looked unused, though the machine is well-used. I bought it on impulse with no idea how to get it home, ditched the cabinet and lugged the head back to California, where I discovered it needs some work. Already ordered a new foot pedal and a bobbin winder, but there seems to be exactly one plastic part in this machine and it's the cam behind the stitch length selector. Mine is cracked, which I can see from the top, and the dial does nothing when turned. I ordered a replacement from Sears (hope it's the right part) but I'm nervous about installing it myself. According to the diagram, you can take off the two front dials and the plate, and then I should be able to reach the right part without taking off the motor and going underneath. Have you done this on either your 540 or 541? I don't want to break the beautiful lavender buttons or dials, I'm certain those can't be replaced without salvaging from another machine. Thank you for any advice!

    ReplyDelete