Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Bernina 117L

The universe has smiled upon me.

When browsing CL, I often widen my searches to include areas I wouldn't normally visit just to see what's out there.  To be honest, most machines are just not worth driving great distances.  However, I had been watching a listing for a Bernina sewing machine for about a year.  It was originally listed at $500.  After about two months, the price descended to $400, then $300 some time after that.  It stayed at that price; not surprisingly, the price's descent had an inverse relationship with my interest.  Then the listing disappeared and I assumed it sold.  A very old Bernina is a very rare machine in these parts and they don't stay listed long at all.  Ask me how I know.

I happened to be browsing just two months ago prior to Christmas and there it was again, an ad for a Bernina treadle machine.  Only this time, there was more information.  It's a 117L, a model I don't own (I have a 117K that I acquired almost by complete accident) and is extremely hard to find.  The price was $200.  I contacted the seller immediately and told her that I doubted I could make it over the mountain pass right away, that I would have to wait for somewhat warmer weather.  (The passes were experiencing a deluge of snow and thick ice on the roads.  Washington Dept. of Transportation was advising no travel over the passes if it wasn't necessary.  This was certainly necessary but not worth risking my life.)  She responded -- very nicely -- that she couldn't hold it, that she wanted to sell it.  I wrote back that I understood.  I sobbed uncontrollably.  (Not really, but I was sad.)

The ad disappeared again.  I suspected it might appear again and sure enough, about a week ago it reappeared at $150.  I called her and made plans to visit her the next day.  She was surprised I was so intent on purchasing it but she was glad I was interested enough to make the trip.  She lives in a part of Washington that is remote and the road one mile beyond her house is dirt.  Her driveway is dirt.  And the machine was being stored in an unheated shed.

She was very, very nice and apologized for all the snow and ice on the driveway, for her dog excitedly jumping on me (I love when dogs jump on me), and she offered the machine for $100.  I accepted, put the machine in my car, fell flat on my ass, and chatted with her for about 30 minutes.  What a lovely person.  She's the kind of woman I'd love as a neighbor.

So after a total of 5.5 hours of driving and about 4 hours of cleaning, here it is -- the one I've been waiting for:







As you can see, this is set up for treadling.  However, the motor (and brace -- not pictured), a Swiss Scintilla made for Bernina, was included and so I can change the configuration if I choose.  The table's a Bernina table and it obviously needs refinishing but the machine's in remarkable condition considering that it was shipped to the Pacific Northwest from Switzerland via a farm in Ukraine.  Here in remote Washington State it was used on an orchard, so it was very dirty but it cleaned up rather nicely, I think.  The brightwork is very shiny, all the parts work perfectly (if a little tight with old oil), and the sewing action is about as quiet and smooth as I could ever want.  This is such a great machine.  It has lots of oil ports.  Lots.

The 117L was made beginning in 1938 and this is a fairly early one.  One of the first domestic zig-zag machines ever produced, it is surprisingly modern: pressure control knob, feed dog drop, huge throws in the length and width control, automatic bobbin winding, knee lift (this is a very cool feature allowing the user to keep both their hands on their project), and a very sensitive, incremented tension control.  Needle position (L, C, R) is a feature my 117K doesn't include and works like a charm.  I haven't hooked up the motor so I can't comment on the electrical feature (motor, light).  It's a friction drive, so it will be interesting to see how the 117L runs compared to the 117K which is set up for electric sewing (though if I do decide to try out this motor, I hope its voltage is commensurate with American domestic electrical standards).  The maximum SPM for this machine is reputedly over 2K.

So there it is, my exciting treadle story.  I'm not a treadler so this will take some getting used to but I think I'll leave the machine as-is, grateful though I am for the original motor.  


19 comments:

  1. Oooooo, such pretty eye candy with my morning coffee! I have seen people speak in hushed tones about that machine on their blogs (figuratively speaking, of course) and how lovely to find it in a treadle. You'd better get started on those leg exercises. :) Do all the green machines hang out together at your house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) Yes, beauty and the beast all rolled into one. Hard to believe where I find some of these machines.

      I'm thinking about dedicating a room to green sewing machines. I'd name it "Behind the Green Door." Oh, wait -- that name is taken!

      Delete
    2. Beautiful! Not really sure what the difference is between the L and the K but I have the 117K. The serial number indicates it was made in 1939.. I was made in 1938... lol so we're kindred spirits. It has the needle positioning knob and the light hood like most of the Ls have. No light kit in it. I bought it in 1958 and sewed all my and my kids clothes on it and it's still going. I haven't used it in a few years so I'm doing what you're doing. Cleaning and oiling it. Congratulations on your terrific find.

      Delete
  2. That is a museum piece! It looks like it was never used. Patience pays off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing, isn't it? And considering it was a machine used on a farm in Ukraine, then shipped to the US (and across the US) to be used on an orchard, stored in an unheated shed, and in this condition! I think I might have to put this in the living room complete with art lighting.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful machine and great story about your find! Last week I drove 5.5 hours round trip for a black Singer 301. It is comforting to know that I am not alone in my obsession with old sewing machines!

    John Thomas in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trip felt like nothing as long as I focused on the machine. What's a few hours behind the wheel compared to the many, many hours of sheer pleasure admiring a great piece of machinery? Totally worth it. Ours is a healthy obsession.

      Delete
  4. Wow. What a beautiful machine. The color is lovely. I would consider moving to your area just to find all these machines you do. It can be slim pickins here sometimes. Thanks for showing, you made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael; that's very kind of you. I had to wait a while to get this one so sometimes it takes some doing but they have a way of finding us. It may seem like utter nonsense but I think it may be possible that these machines are able to reach out to us somehow. This one needed a new home and some TLC, someone to care for it. I'm not quite fully insane, btw.

      Delete
    2. Oh for pete's sake, we're all certifiable. Let's just get that out on the table, shall we? :)

      Seriously, I am convinced that these machines know how to find us. Would someone pass me my straightjacket, please?

      Delete
    3. :D Hold on, I'm almost done sewing it!

      Delete
  5. I am GREEN with envy- that is one gorgeous machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it is pretty. It's really, really quiet too. I'm not a huge Bernina fan except for these old ones and of those, I'm a HUGE fan.

      Delete
  6. Congrats! Your machine seems to be in good condition.

    The switch for the needle-position (above the zigzag-width) and also the disc-Flywheel are indicators that Your 117 Model is one of the younger ones. The first versions of the 117 class had the needle-position swith as a knob on the backside of the machine, and can only choose between left or centered needle position.


    That newer style of needle-psition switch has remained in the industrial Class 217 (my 217-N06 Industrial is made in 1984).


    I absolutely love to use the 117 class, even more than the (faster and stronger) industrial 217. Btw: I own 2 KL-117's, both in excellent condition.

    The 117 is solid as a rock, strong as a tractor but smooth running like a swiss watch. No manufacturer (not even Bernina) can hold the awesome quality and reliability of this machine.
    How many generations may a 117 survive with good care?
    10? 20?? 50???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I also do own a 117k and there is knob for needle position on the back side of the machine. Lovely machine by the way

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, if you're ever interested in selling this machine please let me know.
    - Josh

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great find. I have a 117 K. It's been unused for years and needs a lot of oiling and cleaning. Just found a manual on line, so that will help. I first bought it in 1957 but never knew how old it really is. How do I determine that? I have the I need a cabinet for it. Yes, it's heavy and hard to tip to oil and insert the bobbin, so using it on top of the table isn't really convenient. Anybody with tips on cleaning, and/or cabinets would be welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, find the serial # and go from there. Try the Bernina site -- I believe it has a list of years of manufacture and serials. The earliest would be about 1938 or so. The 117 is the earliest domestic zig-zag machine ever produced by any manufacturer.

      For cleaning, start with clear sewing machine oil and a SOFT toothbrush, getting into the crevices and tight spots carefully. Wipe it down when you're finished with an area. The oil won't hurt the finish at all. Be gentle. If you want a good polish, I've heard Zymol is good. I use NuFinish and TR-3 if there are stubborn residues or discoloration. Watch the decals with polishes, as some of them will degrade and remove decals if you rub too hard. For the polished nickel, use a good polish such as Maas. Avoid ammonia-based polishes. If the machine has old oil that has yellowed into a varnish, alcohol will dissolve it but it also dissolves clear coats and paint so don't let the alcohol anywhere near the painted surfaces as you can really damage the machine. Use tweezers and Q-Tips to remove lint and grime inside the machine.

      Go slowly, be gentle, and have fun watching the transformation! Congrats on a beautiful machine.

      Delete