Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Necchi NA Nora

Certain machines require that I stalk the tall grass, then pounce.  I've been wanting a Nora for about 2 years and every time I find one, it's either too far away, too expensive, or in really terrible shape.  I found this one at the GW site: it was within my loosely enforced budget and in good shape.  As for distance, shipping was surprisingly reasonable -- but this is my second experience with a machine shipped via FedEx and I'm not happy.  The subject requires a small blog post of its own, so I will write one soon.

What I like about this machine is pure aesthetics.  The rounded, bullet-shaped design is what I consider Necchi's finest of the 1960s and the hulk of flat sheet metal between the cap and the throat balances the smooth form with heft.  The salmon pink color is almost ironic, although the machine came in several other colors.  (Truth be told, I wanted the hammered silver but I didn't want to spend $300.)  The hand wheel is that wonderfully tactile large, away-from-the-pillar design that is the very best for someone with hands my size and the mass of this wheel means that the inertia it generates keeps the machine running exceptionally powerfully.  Sure, some immediate start/stop control is lost due to weight but once I replace the cloth/synthetic rubber belt with a lugged version, the controller (my foot, rather) will have better control over the needle bar.

Those familiar with the Supernova models will have no trouble recognizing the familiar knobs for length, width, limiters, and tension.  The pressure knob is the screw-cap variety with a built-in oil port complete with bearing.  The angled spool pins (one is broken off) are an elegant and low-tech solution to the problem of bouncing, noisy spools, using gravity and a lower angle to draw thread downward off the spool, thus pulling the spool down to the platform.  Perfect.

I'm not entirely certain but I don't believe this model is double needle-capable, as the hook faces leftward rather than forward.  I will have to research this, though.  I don't have a manual, though I will be searching for a download when I have a few minutes.

The 1 amp motor is so quiet!  I really should do a video of this machine just to show how smooth and silent it is -- even more surprising, as this machine is oscillating rather than full rotary.  Though I need to pull the motor (and tighten the set screw on the motor shaft) for general cleaning and to polish the commutator, etc., it runs like a top, though I detect a little slowness.

I'm still cleaning the exterior and will soon begin some surgical kerosene and alcohol application on certain interior parts.  The machine included a really beat-up but genuine Necchi case, a Necchi box of attachments (mostly presser feet, some Necchi needles, two additional plates, etc.), and an additional Necchi controller.  Now my Lelia 513 has a Necchi controller of its own once this one is rewired.  Hurrah!





   

2 comments:

  1. I saw this one on the GW site. I am glad it came to live with you. I actually have been pretty pleased with the packing jobs on the machines I have ordered that have been shipped FedEx, although both were machines in pretty bad shape and it wouldn't have been a huge loss if they had been damaged. Of course, that means that if I ever order a more expensive machine, it will no doubt arrive in pieces...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The universe seems to think pink is my favorite Necchi color. Dare I send a memo?

      Seriously, this thing is an awesome machine. It was slightly damaged during shipment and that was due to a complete lack of packing. Really frosts my butt, it does. I like FedEx generally (great employees, nice customer service) but I need to make a video re. how to pack a machine and send it to corporate. >:(

      Delete