Pages

Friday, April 1, 2016

Necchi Silvia 586 Maximatic

I've been interested in Necchi machines for a few years and until now have avoided the very modern designs of the Mirella, Silvia, and Lydia machines.  They're extremely beautiful: curved, simple, elegant, ergonomically wonderful, and very Italian.  But I've read so many terrible things about the Lydia models that I wrongly assumed that Necchi's last truly Italian gasp was really more like a death-sigh.

I was wrong.  I saw an ad on CL for a Silvia Maximatic (Silvia came in three versions: 582 Fleximatic, 584 Multimatic, and 586 Maximatic, the 586 being the higher end, full-featured model) and although I generally avoid ads w/out a stated price but merely "Make me an offer!" because these sellers are difficult, ignorant, and want the most money possible (ask me how I know), I went ahead an contacted him.  He immediately accepted my $40 offer, surprisingly enough.  (This machine was not a must-have so I aimed low.)









The Maximatic name evokes a replicant or perhaps a feminine hygiene vending machine.  Its curvaceous body suggests plastic but it's a splatter-finished aluminum and surprisingly sturdy.  The paint looks great with only a few very small nicks that you'd have to want to find.  The knobs and levers all turn with a quality feel and the bed extension pulls off and pushes on with a good 'Snap!' similar to an all-metal Kenmore convertible from the same era. 

The bobbin winder is similar to those found on Viking machines: always engaged (a feature I don't like) but disengages the clutch automatically when a bobbin is inserted on the lever-bearing post, thus making the Maxi an automatic of sorts.  It works quite well. 

The built-in needle threader also works well not to mention the easy threading itself.  Sewing, I have now experienced these machines' touchy tension that require a bit of finicky fiddling.  I've only owned the machine a few hours and so this will take some getting used to but adjusting the lower thread tension is not Kenmore-easy.  

There are two speeds via an interlock switch: Max, Off, Min.  Max is very fast -- much faster than I expected.  I would like to do a SPM count as well as an RPM count on the motor itself (the two numbers aren't always the same, though they often are).  The pedal is very responsive.

Thus far, there's not much to criticize here.  The Silvia is certainly not a common machine in the US and I am surprised I found one locally.  And of the colors offered, this would have been my first choice as would the Maximatic version.  Another Necchi for the shrine, this one is quite different than the Supernovas, etc. and I like it very much.  





16 comments:

  1. Cool looking machine! What bobbin does it use? It looks like you have a plastic Singer 66 in there. We VERY rarely have Necchis show up on CL around here, usually the more current Taiwan-made models. It is interesting to see how many different makes you seem to find in your area.

    I mainly have Singers and Kenmores with multiple copies of the better models, i.e., 4-201's, 4-301's, 3-401's, and 3-500's in my collection. Multiple copies of a model make it easier to see how a machine should be put together.

    John Thomas in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye -- yes, I believe it's a class 66 bobbin case. Seems to work, anyway! We also have a lot of the Japanese/Taiwanese Necchis as well but we do have Italians at high prices (and sometimes at really low prices as people just want them gone or don't know what they have).

      I'm taking stock of my collection and I have four 401As, five Pfaff 130s, a bunch of Elnas, etc. I need to start selling a few more than I'm taking in. Hopefully I'll wise up and begin to buy fabric and thread rather than more machines.

      Delete
  2. Is this one of the Necchis that crack the pattern can?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe so, although I tend to frequently read that abou the Lydia and less about these machines. I don't know if that's because there are so many more Lydias out there but this cam stack appears to be in great shape so I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

      Delete
  3. Can you tell me what bobbin this machine takes? I have a chance to buy one. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thanks for stopping by. The original bobbins for this machine are clear plastic and aftermarket bobbins can be found by searching using 'Necchi 586 bobbins' on Amazon or eBay. For example:

      https://www.amazon.com/Necchi-586-Sewing-Machine-Bobbins/dp/B008MM5D9G

      Please note: My machine included several bobbins (originals, I assume) and so I haven't ordered any. I can't vouch for those being offered in the url above. Also, I'm not affiliated with any seller, retailer, or website.

      Delete
  4. Hello, do you know if the necchi 586 and the necchi 592 have the same bobbin case? The bobbins are usually listed as fitting both on sewingpartsonline and Amazon, so it made me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I'm sorry but I do not know off hand. My SensorSew is in storage and so I cannot check at the moment. Do you have access to a 'Logica' manual? That should tell you what bobbins the machine takes. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. I have the brown Maximatic. Do you know if this is a High Shank or Low Shank presser foot? I'm shopping for a walking foot. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High shank. Not all high shank walking feet fit all machines so make sure you ask the seller before purchasing. (Sometimes the screws don't match up with the holes or sometimes you have to order a special screw that won't impeded the walking foot you're purchasing.

      Delete
  6. Hello. Ive just been gifted a necchi 586. Im wondering if you could help with something. It seems the bobbin winder is constantly engaged. Ive removed the bobbin and the disc that covered it but even with these off the machine is only in bobbin winding mode and the needle doesnt move? Thank you in advance. I just cant figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bobbin winding mechanism is always engaged. When you place a bobbin onto the post for winding, the machine's main shaft (meaning the needle bar) *should* disengage. This happens via a small metal piece that is found connected to the bobbin winding assembly post under the machine housing on the tail end of the machine. Do you have a manual or better yet, a service manual? Either the this piece is broken or there may be another problem (possibly belt or cam-related). I would have to see the machine in-person to determine what might be wrong. Do you know someone in your area who is knowledgeable about sewing machines? I hope you can get it fixed as this is a very good machine when working.

      Delete
  7. Hello
    We've just been donated one of these. The threading seems unusual. Does anyone have a diagram?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried one of the Necchi groups on Yahoo! or Facebook? They're very informative and should have the information you're looking for. Try groups.yahoo.com and/or go to Facebook and search for Necchi Sewing Machine groups (there are several). I will look for a threading diagram and post the url if I find anything.

      Good luck and congratulations on your "new" sewing machine!

      Delete
  8. I inherited my mother's machine. I had a hard time getting the bobbin case tension set. I tried to bend the tension spring and just messed it up. Looking for a new spring or entire bobbin case (Silvia 584 586). Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just took a look on eBay and didn't find the part but found a bunch of original Necchi bobbin cases for sale. You may have to wait a while but I think if you're patient, you might have luck there. Also, check to see if the case overlaps other models. (I don't know if it does or would tell you.) Try joining the Yahoo! Necchi or Facebook Necchi groups and ask there, too. People have all kinds of strange parts in their storage at home and might be able to help you. Good luck and good on you for trying to restore a fine machine!

      Delete