Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Adler 189A Adlermatic Zig-Zag


There are times when there is a particular model a collector has wanted for years and after spending those years looking high and low (price and location), that collector finally realizes that in order to acquire it, some fairly serious cash will need to be spent or a refurbishment will be necessary.

That collector is myself and the machine is the Adler 189A Adlermatic.  I knew I had to have one the first moment I spied a dark, grainy picture of its gorgeous green self.  The rounded, bulbous shapes, the beautiful levers with red increments and numbers, the cam door that slides up and open, the nose plate that opens clam-shell style toward the left, the Pfaff 130-like rear access plate, the steel cams, the belt cover, the speed and strength, the ungodly smoothness -- it was a heady mix for a still-learning collector and perhaps these shapes and features imprinted my impressionable mind so deeply that I couldn't let go.  And now I finally have one.  Well, almost.

I decided not to spend a fortune and bought a 'For Parts or Repair' example.  It's missing the motor.  (Yes, you read that correctly.  I bought an electric, heavy-duty sewing machine with its motor missing.)  It's missing the thread tension assembly (except the post, check spring, etc.).  The thread take-up lever has been broken right off at the face plate.  No cord, no controller.  The cord that it has was a seller attempt and he actually wired the lamp correctly, so that works.  The hand wheel turns very smoothly and the knobs and levers all appear to be working as intended, although I need access to a manual to be sure.  This is not a simple machine.  No cams, no presser feet, no bobbin case (although the Pfaff 130's does fit and that means they are plentiful and fairly inexpensive).  It also needs a very thorough cleaning and adjusting.

But I didn't just buy it on impulse.  I knew it was a project machine and so the question with any somewhat rare machine is where to buy parts.  How much would it cost to purchase all these necessities for a working machine -- preferably original parts?  Well, I found an eBay seller who sold me a huge lot of Adler 189A parts (including the motor, the rear access plate, the hand wheel, the face plate with the cam door, levers, hook, innards, take-up lever, gears, etc., zig-zag and cam assemblies, rods and shafts, etc.) for the princely sum of $50.  So I bought the machine with a pending Best Offer on the parts and had my shorts in a wad for only about 2 hours hoping I could have a complete machine in about a month of studying the service manual.





Cosmetically, I've seen better examples of this machine but nearly every other 189A I've seen has at least some small areas of paint loss.  Since I'm very interested in a complete refurb, a paint-matching trip to the auto parts store is on the agenda not only because I want the machine to look its best but also to keep the existing paint around the dings from flaking.  However, I think the machine looks pretty good for a 'For Parts or Repair' -- what do you think?

20 comments:

  1. Cosmetically, your "parts/repair" Adler looks great! Just a few paint dings on the bed's front edge and corner, if I see it correctly; and of course, your missing parts. I just recently saw on Ebay some 'grab bag' offerings of particular make/model parts. It seems to be more economical rather than trying to find and buy the parts one at a time. Keep us apprised of your efforts to make your Adler find operational.

    John Thomas in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think this was the way to do it. The machine is cosmetically good and I'm hoping the lot of parts I bought has everything I need including the motor bracket and bolt. (I didn't see these in the ad so I'm not sure. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a workaround if not.) I will update this post once I get the parts and then update once again as I get the machine working. Wish me luck! :)

      Delete
    2. Lovely machine! Any info on yhe Adler 459A Model? Found in Mom's estate, still has a spool of 1962 thread! Runs great. I do not sew but would like to sell it for a very fair price ro a person who appreciates things like that. Thanks for any ideas!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I love the design, the color, and the reputed strength and smoothness. (I've only run this machine by hand thus far.) A keeper. AND, I was able to find an eBay seller offering most of the removable parts (motor included) off a 189A, so I can hopefully get this one running really well.

      Delete
  3. Hi there, I have the same machine and I'm desperately looking for its timing belt (nylon/urethane cleated). Any help would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Andy. I don't know of a source off the top of my head but check eBay, searching by model number. Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIMING-BELT-FOR-all-type-Sewing-Machine-many-size-/260703672682?var=&hash=item3cb326596a:m:mo-kH0epP6c7DXWpapROunw

      I'm not affiliated with any seller and can't vouch for any seller or their products.

      Give it a shot and let us know how it works out! Be sure to ask before you buy, take good measurements, and know how to install. :)

      Good luck. I will be joining you at some point when my Adlers (I now have two of these) are at the top of the repair queue.

      Delete
    2. Great!! Thank you. I just purchased one and we'll see how it goes. I'm also waiting for a local sewing machine to confirm with me whether they'll find a genuine Adler belt. It's a long shot but worth it. So far I've managed to pull out the entire main shaft and de-rust the timing gear.

      Delete
    3. Hi again. I'm just wondering if you happen to know where to adjust the feed dog timing on the Adler 189a. (I'm getting a timing belt for my machine and try to re-time everything. I appreciate your help!). There's a screw at the end of the bottom shaft in front of the feed dog cam. Do you think that's the place?

      Delete
    4. Andy Tan, did you ever get the timing belt working? I have a Adler 153a with a trashed belt. I phoned Adler (USA) and its discontinued, but it takes the same belt as the 189a. Where did you end up getting yours? Did the ebay source Mouse mentioned above work out? Thanks

      Delete
    5. I got mine from a donor machine on eBay (the seller took it apart for me). Also I found this catalog last year. Don't know if it helps:
      http://www.brunoanichini.it/cataloghi/durkopp/044.pdf

      Delete
    6. Yes, that does help! Thanks, Andy. I appreciate the url and I'm sure anyone who reads this will appreciate the information as well. I have 3 of these machines, each has an intact timing belt but I have read that they tend to disintegrate over time, faster than those found in the Pfaff 130, etc. And congratulations on being able to find a seller willing to get the part you needed to you.

      Delete
  4. Hello again Mouse. I just fully restored my Adler 189 after I luckily acquired a belt from a donor machine. I also acquired some important parts including the thread tension assembly. Let me know if you're interested in acquiring some parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent work. Congrats on a fully functioning machine. Both of mine are not quite working yet. I will let you know if I need anything, thank you -- very generous of you. (I was able to acquire a box of 189A parts from an eBay seller.)

      Sorry I've been AWOL but things have been really busy here lately. Thanks for keeping me posted on your progress. I bet you'll really enjoy the machine, as it's a very fine one.

      Delete
  5. Hello! I stumbled upon this blog as I have one of these machines and am trying to sell it (or give it for the shipping costs) to someone who would like it. Any suggestions of the best way to let the right people know about my machine? I can send pictures if desired and can certainly give a better description of the condition etc. I'm asking here because you and your commenters seem very enthusiastic about this particular model, which I just happen to have :-) Thanks for any advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice machine. I'm working on one with a timing belt issue. It appears that the pitch is 7.5mm but not something that I can get. If a belt can't be found, I'm going to make timing pulleys and use a GT series belt. If interested in a belt conversion kit, please contact me thru www.SewTechnical.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any idea how to get a service manual?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might try contacting Durkopp-Adler or joining a Yahoo! or FB group specific to Adler machines. There have to be online copies floating around.

      Delete
  8. Hi, I have been using an Adler -89 a and a crown Victoria 589a as my usual machines for a few years now! If anyone knows where I can get some cams, I'd be super appreciative! I luckily found a lot on eBay of feet, so I've gotten them all, and was able to download all the manuals. I'm also looking for a foot petal for my Victoria, I only have a knee push. I love my adlers!

    ReplyDelete