Pages

Monday, April 11, 2016

Necchi BV

I had been watching the listing for about a month with no change in price until 30 days had passed since the seller posted it.  As expected, he dropped the price from $400 to $250 and I decided that if I was to ever find a BV in the PNW, I'd better pounce.  Pounce, I did.

The sellers are a really nice couple in Coos Bay, Oregon.  That's right, I drove for 13 hours there and back again not including stops and the stop at the seller's home was such that I didn't really want to leave.  They were such delightful people and could not have been more gracious and welcoming.  He showed me around his entire property (shooting range, pottery shed with kilns, wood shop, tools, back yard with creek, the wife's sewing cottage) and he gave me three bottles of his very own wine which occupy an honored spot in our wine rack. 

Was the drive worth it?  Yes, absolutely.  Was the machine worth it?  Yes.  I think so.  This BV is from the early '50s and not many BVs are found in the U.S.  I'm not sure why this is except that Necchi industrials are generally not common here (I have an RZI which is a fairly common zig-zag and a RZG which is a quite rare zig-zag with a 12mm stitch width -- not many anywhere in the world) and I suspect that because Singer made very good industrial machines and was so firmly entrenched in the American market, there simply wasn't much demand.  Necchi made a concerted effort to market their domestics but I don't know through which channels their industrial machines were sourced.  I suspect much of it was 'to the trade', i.e. tailors and in-house alterations for clothing stores and ateliers. 

The BV is a light- to medium-duty straight and is known for its smoothness and precision.  It's not a self-oiler and that makes sense, as it rates about 2200 to 2600 SPM: about mid-range for a medium-duty, stock pulley and motor.  The table mine came in is a straight-leg with small wheels, a very nice feature.  Repainted, this base will look great with a new hardwood butcher block-style table top. 



Last night I purchased some wool fabric online, similar weight to a melton but in a semi-boucle texture.  I wondered which machine I should use to make a traditional German hunter's coat.  I think the BV is the perfect choice and once I repaint the hand wheel and possibly the bed, straighten the original Necchi hinged spool pin, and shine up the brightwork, it will be a real pleasure to use. 

3 comments:

  1. Mine came from a department store in Salt Lake City. The eBay seller I bought it from said his grandfather had purchased it from the department store but never used it, so it has sat, frozen, for the past 15 years or so. Hopefully it will be running today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! After your getting acquainted, what do you plan to sew with it? I'm interested to read what you think of how it works and the possibilities it presents. Such a great machine, I'm really fortunate to have one too.

      Delete
  2. Oh, the husband has a list: seat covers for the truck, covers for various pieces of small equipment, new work pants, etc., etc. I may run up a few of those canvas grocery bags on it, first, because they are easy and I have already made a few. We have to see what kind of shape the motor is in, though.

    ReplyDelete