Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Singer 316G

I'm supposed to be looking for houses and I'm half-heartedly doing so.  One incentive to get me driving around in these God-forsaken towns is the possibility of a sewing machine (or two).  Convenient, don't you think?

I saw this machine's listing and it turns out the seller lives in the same general area as a possible house I was to look at and so I contacted him.  This is a German Singer zig-zag made in Karlsruhe and is most closely similar to a 306, although it has several advantages: uses class 15 bobbins and needles, has feed dog drop on the bed, and the slide plate actually slides.  It's also built to tighter tolerances and so it's quieter and smoother (although not by so much that the difference affirms the silly, ignorant maligning of the Swing Needle machines -- the 206, 306, 319/320).  Like the 306, it has adjustable needle position and takes cams for decorative stitches.  It weighs in over 50 lbs.

My machine came in a wood base but lacks a case.  Additionally, the lamp shade is missing and the lamp socket housing is cracked.  I have ordered a vintage lamp but it is black, so I'll either have to paint it or be satisfied with it as-is.  By the way, these lamps are quite expensive.  Luckily, I found one in Germany for just $17 plus shipping ($9) but all the other sellers had theirs well over $50 and higher.  They're not rare, just expensive.






Although this is a Singer, the Germanic pedigree is evident immediately in its sewing characteristics.  The machine runs beautifully; I can see why these are such coveted machines: quiet, strong, adjustable down to the slightest differences in width and length.  I love the styling, too -- reminds me of the 15-125, for example.  One question I always ask myself when I acquire yet another machine is whether I plan to keep it and for how long.  The 316 will be in my permanent collection.

If you find one of these beauties, don't hesitate, especially if you can find one for well under $100 as I did.  You'll be glad you bought it! 
 

5 comments:

  1. I rather like the sound that my 319 makes. Did it come with cams? If not, I will keep my eyes open for a set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! I see them from time to time on the shopgoodwill site in a lot of sewing machine attachments. I would appreciate a set if you can find one, although I've seen them on eBay fairly often.

      And I agree with you re. the Swing Needle sound: I happen like its clicking sound and those machines sew really well, I think. The 316 is the same family but with a distinct German accent. :)

      Delete
  2. I recently picked up one of these, do you happen to know what size light bulb the lamp takes?

    Thanks!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, this should work:

      https://www.lightbulbs.com/product/philips-3659950/?source=NexTagCSE

      Enjoy your Singer.

      Delete
  3. I just brought a 316G home 30 minutes ago. It came in a cabinet with two leaves supported by the open cabinet doors. It even has a fold up floor in the bottom of the cabinet to make room for your feet when sewing. Mine has a broken light like yours and is missing the presser foot. I assume it takes a standard low shank foot. It doesn't have any cams, not even the zz cam. I think I have 6 of the flat, black singer cams that came with a Kenmore I picked up a couple of weeks ago. The people didn't have any use for it and let it go for $30.

    It will need to go in the queue for cleaning as Janet said. I am currently working on a Viking 33-10. Quite unusual. You can use the knee lift for the presser foot or to control the zz width.

    You are a bad influence. I haven't bought any machines for many years. However, in the past few months I have dragged home Singer 223 and 15-91, 3 Kenmores, Adler 87, Anker RZ (thanks to you), Viking 33-10, an Elgin, the 316G and someone gave me a Singer industrial 251-12 in a table. Reading your blog makes this seem perfectly OK.

    My name is Peter and I have a problem.

    ReplyDelete