Pages

Friday, June 17, 2016

Pfaff 230 No. 2

OK, so just the other day I was patting myself on the back for overcoming my sewing machine addiction.  It's clear to me that something inside has died and I just can't fake it, although I'm getting better at that.  I don't log into CL much anymore.  eBay hasn't seen me in a while.  FB is no longer my friend.  And if you follow this blog at all, you know that I haven't posted anything for weeks.  Yes, I just don't want to acquire any more machines except really rare, beautiful ones that I never find in the wild.  I'm done hauling home heavy cabinets and their common machines that once fascinated me.

I have been collecting patterns, though.  My collection has grown and will continue to do so, though in a more focused, discriminating way.  I heard a local thrift store call my name and I drove over and browsed, finding no more than two patterns, neither in my size.  I bought them anyway because I figure that learning to adjust for sizing is a good skill to learn, especially as I plan to eventually take up patternmaking.  Walking over to the furniture section, I found this cabinet behind two bookcases.  I'm always intrigued when I see items that look as though they've been hidden or placed strategically for some reason and I was rewarded with my second 230 in great shape, sewing beautifully.  For $30, I couldn't just walk away.




In the drawers, I found the metal Pfaff box of attachments, the manuals, the stitch wheel, the registration, the Pfaff oil can, and several other items.  Though the 260 would eclipse this model, I love the 230 for its complicated clunkiness and its blazing speed.  This thing can really move and even with some of the worst, cheapest thread (that I chose merely because it was sitting nearby and I had yet to toss it), it made perfect stitches.

The light switch is stuck in the 'In' position.  I put a drop of oil on it but I think it's going to need replacing.  Also, the needle threader mechanism at the end of the needle threader bar is missing.  As needle threaders go, Pfaff's are among the best but I hardly ever use them so this isn't really an issue.  I'll likely sell this machine and keep my other 230 as it's in somewhat better cosmetic condition, although it has never run as well as this one.  I imagine this machine will make someone very, very happy.

So I'm not over my addiction.  However, I'm not sentimentally attached to these machines like I used to be and I can't wait to let go of a good many.  I was a pretty severe case but I've progressed and while I expect I'll revert now and then (I'm only human), I hope to be focused on, well, sewing.

I hope you're all well.


10 comments:

  1. The Necchi Supernova BF got sold out from under me yesterday, but strangely, I feel almost relieved. I know exactly what you are saying here. It was a fun run while it lasted, though, and at least you and I got to meet and be friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crap! You really want one, too. That sucks but I know what you mean about being relieved as I experienced something similar with a Singer 221 recently. And yes, absolutely -- we have become friends through our machine adventures and I hope we continue! You're one of the best things about this hobby.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I have the Supernova BF I bought from Sharon (and it's pink!) but I could always find room for one more of those. Hopefully someone will get hours of sewing pleasure from the one I missed out on.

      Delete
    3. Ah, sorry -- forgot you had that pink one. Necchis still hold an allure for me, I'll freely admit. Watch: I'll go to Rome next year and come back having shipped two dozen machines, staggering as if in an absinthe-laced stupor, reeking of oil and Super 100 wool.

      Delete
  2. I haven't bought a new machine in weeks either. Maybe it I'd a Summer thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the change of seasons is part of it, too. I'm also planning a big move, so I'm trying to hold back purchasing large items until we're settled into a new place. Perhaps moving is my sewing machine Nicorette, allowing me to kick the habits of CL and eBay, then I'll focus on kicking the habit of temporarily sating my acquisition appetite. :)

      Delete
  3. I have missed your sewing machine adventures. I was going to put out an APB. Glad to see another post and know your good. Do you think there is a 12 step program for those of us who keep buying machines? God, I hope not. best 2 u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah, I'm slowing down a bit, trying not to buy everything that's at a good price. I'm having too much fun to try to be cured. I'm not sure there is a cure. The other day I saw an old MPB vlog where Peter is recounting that week's sewing adventures and he mentioned you, thanking you for the fabric you sent him. I thought "Hey, I know that guy!" :)

      Delete