Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Kenmore 158.1914 No. 2

Yesterday and on Facebook, a fellow Kenmore enthusiast stated that nothing would stop her from buying a Kenmore 158 series machine for $10.  NOTHING.

In that vein, I stopped by the local Goodwill on my way home from retrieving a coffee mug my mother left at a friend's home.  Here is what I found, $7.50 after 50% off:







The 1914 is one of those coveted models -- a "Sears * Best" machine -- and I've read about them for the entire few years I've been collecting.  My first was a CL find and in similar, decent shape but with no manual or case or attachments.  This one has no attachments but they are easily found.

It sews flawlessly.  Just a slight tension adjustment and I was able to produce every stitch I tried.  The convertible mechanism is satisfyingly stiff and the pedal is easy to modulate.  This machine was well-used but it probably sews at least nearly as well as it did the day it was purchased back around 1980.  I normally take my time to clean a machine prior to blogging about it but this one was actually pretty clean and judging from the pool of clear machine oil in the base of the case, it had been properly (and generously) lubricated.  I'll replace the gear grease, give it a once-over with oil, then sew some practice seams.   
 

7 comments:

  1. This is a highly sought after machine. Good find! I have it on my "want list" also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe there are two or three models of a similar design such as the 1980, another really fine machine. I hope you find one! While not rare, they're uncommon in the marketplace because those who have them tend to hang onto them.

      Delete
  2. I have this machine. It's a great one. I love all the cams. I actually drove to palm springs from LA to get it at a good price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Yeah, this is an excellent machine -- really strong for a domestic.

      I recently drove from Seattle to LA for a machine I found on eBay. Drove down on Saturday, drove back on Sunday. Stay tuned, I'll be blogging about it soon! :)

      Delete
    2. wow. I can't wait to hear about that. The lengths we go to.

      Delete
  3. This one is also on my "want" list, but it was there because of the collective raves about the model. I have not seen one yet in my area even though NC seems to be "Kenmore Country." Looking at your pictures, I think I understand its popularity. Motor size?

    Good find!

    John Thomas in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. NC sounds like my kind of place. This machine has 1.2 amps. I find that 1.2 is more than adequate for such a full-featured mechanical machine. It was dusty in its case, so I assume it hadn't been used in many years. I plugged it in, the light came on, and it sewed a perfect line of stitches. There are a few models similar to this one (the 1980 is one). I hope you can find one and give it a test drive!

      Delete