Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Adler 187 No. 2

I've actually had this one cleaned up and polished, ready to write up but life has gotten in the way and so I am finally, officially adding it to the collection.

My friend Janet found this machine in Kalispell and seeing it's in such good shape, I didn't hesitate to take her up on her generous offer to purchase and set it aside for our next meeting, which was some months ago.  Thank you, Janet -- it was a pleasure to clean (believe it or not) and I'm glad I have my second one of these.  I find the design is that perfect German marriage of form and function: very simple, sleek, yet with a body that reveals the muscle beneath.  This machine is ready to work and with a 1.5 amp reverse motor (the 187 is one of Adler's machines designed to run in the opposite direction of most standard belted machines, so the hand wheel spins away from the user), it's got power to burn.

The length screw undoubtedly rattled and fell off the length lever at some point and so a vintage replacement will have to be found.  Other than that, the machine's in good shape.  I actually like the idea of removing the spool pins and placing them on a non-Adler platform plate, attaching to the body using the rear access plate screw.  I may paint the platform black, though.







I can see this machine in a glass cabinet with both over and under lighting behind frosted glass or a fabric panel.  Perhaps on a motorized turntable with accompanying music. 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful machine. Cleaned up magnificently. I just bought a Pfaff 130-6 with the embroidery stuff on the back. Unfortunately, it was in a cabinet so the foot pedal cord is too short. It was probably a knee pedal. Now I have to find a diff foot pedal. Wanted to sew all weekend. Oh well, wish me luck. Hope this finds you well. Love it when you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and congratulations on your Pfaff!! AND, you managed to find one with the 'coffee grinder' embroidery attachment, which isn't all that common. I think you're going to love the machine; please keep us updated on how you're enjoying it and what you make with it. Also, watch where you put oil: a nylon gear, a linen gear (in the hook area), and the cleated nylon belt shouldn't be oiled. You must be dying to sew with it so have fun.

      Delete
  2. Actually, this one came from Kalispell; I didn't have to travel to far to find it. It did clean up nicely. Hopefully that length lever screw is way to hunt down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I thought this was from the quilt sale in Ritzville. My mistake. (I guess I could have checked your blog, right? Normally I'm good at research...) Sorry about that.

      The screw will be a difficult piece to find, I think. I'm going through some vintage Pfaff machines for a similar part hoping one might fit. A Pfaff screw is much more common.

      Delete
    2. With all the machines I have thrown at you in the past year, I can imagine that you might lose track of where one or two of them came from. :) This one showed up at our fire department auction.

      Delete
    3. Ah, that's right. My bad. The least I could do in appreciation is recall the provenance correctly! Looking forward to seeing you soon. :)

      Delete
  3. Will love it better with a longer cord on presser foot. The little sewing I have done is fun. Will call someone tomorrow and see what he has or got to ebay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will love reading an update on how you like it. Enjoy!

      Delete