Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Elna Supermatic No. 2

Oops, I did it again.

When the universe speaks, I try to answer the call even though I've been turning down a lot of machines lately and have been making progress on my acquisition addiction.  When I saw two machines for $30, I contacted the seller (whose CL ad was 18 days old) and hoped for the best.  (The last thing I need is another sewing machine let alone 2 but price and proximity convinced me this was just a bit too coincidental to ignore.  Is it possible the universe is testing my resolve?  Must ponder.)  The seller responded 2 days later and I met him at his home about 12 minutes from mine.  Needless to say, I bought both: this one and another. 

The Supermatic's in very good shape save the front free arm lip plate, a part whose paint is often worn away on these machines (and I at the very least have the feeble excuse that this machine differs from my other Supermatic in its color scheme).  Another common problem is the friction pulley and this machine is no exception, unfortunately -- it's a pain to replace, though the part is not terribly expensive.  There is no case and no attachments, so perhaps the price isn't really all that low.  At least the zig-zag cam, the knee lever, and the power cord are included.

So, this machine requires a couple of hours of work and a few accessories but if you've never run a fully refurbished Supermatic, I think you'll be surprised and pleased.  These are excellent machines whose stitches are as good as any vintage Bernina, Pfaff, Anker (OK, well maybe not quite as good as Anker), Singer, etc. and are exceptionally smooth and powerful.





Am I going to punish myself for falling off the wagon?  Nah.  But my wagon rolls slowly and I think I'm suffering from the psychological burden of clutter.  I try to be good but temptation is strong.  Did I mention I'm going to Kent today to pick up another machine?  I didn't?   









5 comments:

  1. Beautiful little machine. Love the color on those Elna's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hard to resist, aren't they? They're like green M & Ms.

      Delete
  2. The universe plopped down an immaculate Singer 99 IN A CASE right in front of me for $7.50 last week. Of course I had to buy it, and then immediately felt like I fell into some kind of trap...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats!!! lol It's weird -- the feeling of 'scoring' just isn't what it used to be. Machines are becoming The Enemy, inflicting guilt, regret, and bowel dysfunction.

      These last several months (in the Seattle area -- not so much for Kalispell, ahem) pickings have been slim and expensive. It's as if everyone is collecting or thinks a beat-up Singer T&S will fetch $200. Well, the drought is apparently over and I'm seeing nice machines here, there, and everywhere. I HAVE PASSED ON MANY OF THEM.

      Congrats on your 99. That's a very nice model, very strong. Fantastic price, too.

      Delete
    2. I could not leave it there, not at that price in that condition. If nothing else, I'll sell it on eBay or use it as a bargaining chip. I have two Spartans—and one in a cabinet, no less, that the 99 could get dropped into—so I am sure someone will be interested eventually. I'd really prefer to find some Necchis.

      Delete