Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Elna Plana Supermatic

Remember this?


Every collector deals with rapidly multiplying machines and for some reason, my home is the perfect environment for the lovable Elna.  I don't have one of every model but I have multiples -- proof that they're hermaphroditic.  (I'm glad I don't name my machines.)

Look familiar?


Yet another has appeared and it is a Plana Supermatic, a flat bed version of the standard Supermatic you've all seen.  The Plana is a common machine too and is as fine as the free arm version.  This one runs smoothly, quietly, and while it includes no attachments, the controller is the original made in Milan, Italy.  (They're becoming hard to find.)







One really nice detail is the buttonhole dial.  It's very easy to use, with its silky smooth operation and the pictograph 4-step selections.  I also like the light switch (3rd picture).  You pull or push on the plunger above the bed for the switch that is below.  A simple solution that works on flat beds for the power/light module on both the free arm and flat bed machines. 

The machine has a few scratches and the width lever is slightly bent but overall, this machine's in good shape.  It was extremely dusty so it likely sat unused for many years.  I'm not quite finished cleaning it (obviously -- sorry about that) but I'm almost there.  Now to find a standard carry case and some attachments, hopefully an original manual, and it's ready for display.

This machine was put in service at Providence Hospital in Seattle, WA and at St. Peter's, according to the writing below the bed on the front.  I always find it interesting to know where these machines were used, leaving me some clues as to what they may have sewn in their heyday.  I won't clean off this writing, as I think it adds interest.   

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen one of those! That's pretty cool. And yes, sometimes I feel like I am living with a bunch of Tribbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was actually the first Elna I really wanted, so Mama Tribble was in labor for about 2 years. I hope to get a Grasshopper at some point.

      Delete