Pages

Monday, September 18, 2017

Adler 152

Another in my series of "new", green sewing machines, here's one I found while thrifting several cities north of my house.

This is the very strong Adler 152, a truly excellent straight stitch machine that hasn't seen much use.  Once I oiled it, it ran so fast that the entire cabinet slightly vibrated.  With a 1.5 amp motor, a simple straight stitch can run like the wind, especially if the commutator is in good shape.  (I haven't opened the motor casing but from running it, I don't think I need to.)  The wiring is also excellent.




If this machine looks familiar, it's the straight version of the 189A zig-zag I purchased recently.  There are some slight differences such as the textured clutch knob, the upper tension assembly, etc. but many of the same beautiful design cues found in both are what attracted me to this machine.  I especially like the belt cover and the same flip-down nose plate that is released with a toothed dial above the presser foot lever.  The integrated thumb screw length limiter is another such detail: works perfectly and with a solidity that is so German.

The brightwork is mirror-finish perfect and it even came with the original manuals stuffed into the shabby cabinet, one I'll likely not keep.  I'm not sure refinishing it is worth my time:


Anyway, a nice surprise to find a model I've been looking for and at a great price, too ($30).  I was surprised that it hadn't been spotted by another sewing machine aficionado; prices are again on the rise in my part of the world.   

6 comments:

  1. Oh, now THAT is a pretty machine. Maybe I like it because it is a straight stitcher, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if you'd find love in your heart for this one. I guessed correctly. :) This is such a great machine, a real bucket list model. I wish you could sew on it -- I think you'd like it even better.

      Delete
  2. I am lucky to have this same machine and I LOVE it. It's so smooth and quiet. And, no internal cleated timing belt. I do have a 153A as well, but the timing belt is toast so I've never been able to use it. I love seeing your sewing machine finds. You have a wonderful collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for the kind words and for stopping by. Aren't these Adlers nice? So, so smooth and strong and beautiful, too!

      I've read that there are lugged rubber replacement belts for the timing belts on the 189A/153A machines. (Not positive but that's what I've read.) Surely something can be made. I might have to get into cleated nylon beltt production.

      Delete
    2. There is a German collector who you may have come across on the FB groups. His name is Martin Obenaus and this is his site:
      http://adlermatic153a.de.tl/Vorwort-d-.htm

      I bought a replacement belt from him about a month ago. He says that (at least for the 153A) replacements are hard to come by. The replacement belt I got from him came with two replacement shaft pulleys specially machined by him. The upper shaft has to be removed to replace the upper pulley, so everything has to be removed then retimed. My local OSMG didn't want to do it as he is about to retire. I sent it in the mail to someone in another state but he sent it back unrepaired having decided not to take it on. I'd really like to get it fixed but am at a loss about who to have do the work. Or would it be crazy to try it myself? Anyway, if you have any ideas or come up with an easier replacement solution, I'm all ears! I'd love to get it working someday.

      Please keep collecting machines so I can continue enjoying reports of your new finds. :)

      Delete
    3. I should also add that Martin is very kind and eager to help anyone restore these machines that he loves so much. If you post a question on any of the FB vintage sewing machine groups about an Adler, he is sure to answer.

      Delete