Pages

Friday, September 1, 2017

Adler 189A No. 3

This is my third of this model and I don't regret it at all, although I wasn't expecting to find one in this condition. 

The 189A has to be one of my favorite zig-zag machines.  Full rotary, buttery smooth, strong as an ox, fast as a gazelle, and visually stunning -- what's not to like?  Although I don't troll eBay nearly as much as I used to, I found this one for a very reasonable price, the pictures looked great, and I pulled the trigger.  Two weeks later, it was at my house, the machine slammed so hard into the base of the case that I had to pry the case apart to retrieve the machine. 

I wrote the seller a very friendly note asking him to secure the machine in the base so that it doesn't slam the top of the case on the inside (which it repeatedly did), then down into the base (which it repeatedly did -- and made two holes in the case and one in the bottom of the packing box).  The seller responded to my note "OK, thanks" and proceeded to pack it in his own incompetent way.  He did refund me $20 for my trouble but I really wish sellers would heed the advice of experienced buyers; we've done this multiple times and know how these heavy items should be packed.

/rant

Other than one bent spool pin, the machine made the journey relatively unscathed and that's the important thing.





There were no attachments included but I have a set of cams and presser feet in an Adler tin from my 189A No. 2, so I'm OK for the time being.  The case will be glued and it will protect the machine and that's what it's for so I'm happy with it.  A good transaction.

Isn't it a pretty machine?  I love these old German machines with their muscular looks and incredible performance.  The length lever has a integrated thumb screw that lets you dial in the stop from the lever itself rather than having to turn an external screw on the plate -- very clever.  And the needle position/width controls are a work of art.  I love just looking at it but moving the levers themselves is really satisfying; clearly this is a very high quality machine. 

It's nice to buy a machine that is entirely operational and is in great cosmetic condition.  I enjoy cleaning up machines because the payoff is so immediate.  Still, it's nice to get one that just needs a wipe with a soft cloth and maybe a bit of metal polish on the brightwork.  Even the belt is in good order.



2 comments:

  1. Your 189A looks great. I picked up an Adler 153A along the way but its timing belt is toast, and has no motor controller. Some day I may just try to make a belt if I have an extra few days to kill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes it's a nice example. I've seen the 153A (oscillating, correct?) and have been tempted. Other than cannibalizing another machine, I'm not sure what can be done except to make one. If you have some success, I'd be grateful for a description of your process. There are many other machines that could be cannibalized as well: Elnas, Singer 206/306/319/320, Pfaffs... I wonder if the cleats are spaced differently and have longer/shorter tines. Keep us posted, won't you?

      Delete