Pages

Monday, February 5, 2018

Bernina 1000

Here is a bargain eBay find, well under $100 -- and shipping on this one was only $18 because it was located about 2 hrs. from my home, so instead of offering to pick it up, I had it shipped.  Fortunately, the seller packed it very well!

This is a Bernina 1000 Designer, a free arm zig-zag machine with 7 total stitches.  It's a simple machine, fast and strong, built in the mid-'80s.  The machine didn't include the controller/cords but I had a spare set from another Bernina and so I was set.  I will have to locate a bed extension for it, although I have one from another machine.  Being a completist, I'd like this machine to have its own -- for resale, at the very least.










I like this machine.  It has speed and precision to burn and would be a great candidate to take to a clothing construction class as it's not terribly heavy, although the vast majority of it is steel.  It included a canvas cover which is dropped over the machine, the machine's integrated handle used through an opening on top.  The sale included a genuine Bernina foot (#0), one that allows all its stitches to be sewn; I might add a few feet just for variety and versatility providing I can find them at reasonable prices.  Or I may simply purchase a Bernina old-style adapter for snap-on feet and buy a set of those, as the 4.5mm maximum width of this machine's zig-zag can be accommodated by most snap-on attachments made today.

So, overall a good purchase.  These '80s Berninas are among the finest domestic machines and are a welcome addition to the stable.  I refuse to become a Bernina snob (there are way too many great machines from other brands) but the quality of this one is pretty convincing.


2 comments:

  1. Finally a new post!! It's like waiting for a Tales of the City installment. Cute machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It's been a while, I'm apologize. Life gets in the way sometimes but I'm back in the saddle. I hope you're well! Yeah, this is a really nice, basic machine. I wouldn't recommend it over an Elna but if it can be found for under $100 (as in this case), it's a good buy.

      Thanks for saying hello, always good to hear from you. :)

      Delete