Pages

Monday, February 5, 2018

Bernina 810

Here's a complete surprise: a Bernina found at a thrift store.

I was running some errands and thought I'd stop in a local thrift to see what was on offer.  I usually find a piece or two of fabric, maybe a pattern, but not much more.  I am trying to downscale and have made a serious effort to donate more to thrift stores than to buy from them.

But, old habits die hard and upon entering I made a beeline to the electronics/furniture department.  What did I spy but a Bernina 810 sitting on the shelf calling to me.  I also found a computerized Husqvarna Viking that did not appeal to me, so I let it languish there on the floor.  I didn't even bother to stop at the testing area; this Bernina is coming home.  Fortunately, the machine's bed extension, cord, and foot controller were taped to the machine.

The 810 is a free arm that is the simpler version of the 830 (a full-featured zig-zag).  It has just several different stitches, needle position, width/length, reverse, dog drop, auto bobbin winding, etc.  It's a basic machine and although I haven't measured its exact dimensions, seems a 7/8 size machine.  The 810 is to the 830 what the 910 is to the 930, machines that came several years later.  After cleaning it up, this one's in good shape and runs very well.  I love these fine mechanical machines with no complicated circuits to worry about.

I then shopped fabric and that was no disappointment either.  I found wool, cotton, printed canvas, madras plaid, taffeta, poly tarp, novelty print cotton.  A great selection!

And last but not least, I have joined a Bernina sewing machine group on FB and we have been discussing the importance of using the proper bobbins.  Berninas are very finicky and those that take Class 15 usually take a specific type known as CB bobbins, ones whose dimensions are slightly different than the standard type we've all used in other machines.  What did I find but a bag of empty bobbins, mostly this CB type!

What a haul!











No comments:

Post a Comment