Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Bernina Bernette MO-335 5-Thread Overlocking Machine

I like a challenge.  So, when the opportunity to buy and fix a 5-thread serger for the princely sum of $18 became available, I seized it.

Well, I've had the machine in my possession for all of 4 hours and have only begun to clean it.  It was really, really dirty.  Full of strips of cloth, lint everywhere, dust, dirt, it has two missing exterior screws, the timing of the upper looper is off, and it has a few dings.





But I believe it can be fixed and running well.  It appears to have been well-made.  Most of it is steel and the looping mechanisms move very smoothly.  For example, the pull-out tray to the left of the needle plate is metal rather than the more common plastic and the 5th thread mechanism (most often used for chain stitching) is beautifully done, complete with its own threading chart.

The timing between the needle bar and the upper looper appears to be slightly off (or off-center) as they touch slightly when loops are being formed at the needle plate -- not good.  It runs though and the motor is very responsive to the pedal; this is a very fast machine with differential feed and adjustable length and width, blades, and the expected combinations of overlocking and hemming stitches available in a 5-thread machine.

I've downloaded the free manual and I will be posting more about this find, my first 5-thread serger.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment