Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Juki DDL-8700 Single Needle High-Speed Straight Stitch Machine

Here is my newest machine, a Juki DDL-8700.  It's a high-speed (5500 spm) straight stitch machine with a stitch capacity of 6/in.  Light- to medium-duty, this is a low tension machine built for productivity in a garment factory setting.  I plan to use it primarily for lighter weight fabric, especially in cases where I need long straight seams.  It is single needle only, drop feed, currently set up with a Yamata .5 hp clutch.




I bought the machine used for just over $100.  Thus far I've purchased 2 replacement parts: the top arm thread tension guide/tension disk and the belt cover assembly.  I plan to switch to a Servo motor and once I make the choice, I'll order the appropriate belt.  This is a self-lubricating machine and all related mechanisms appear to be in excellent condition.  Cosmetically, it has a few small dings but is otherwise in good shape.  

This machine has some interesting features and I'll do a more in-depth review later when I've had a chance to put it through its paces.  I had some misgivings about purchasing the machine because it came from a thrift store, looked as though the prior owner didn't know how to operate it properly, showed signs of neglect, and is made in China.  I own a Juki domestic overlocking machine also made in China; it is also sold under the Bernina name and the quality so far appears to be very good (with a price tag to match).  So, it's not where the item is made so much as whether the manufacturer has a high degree of quality control.  As for the machine's condition, it's actually in pretty good shape overall and considering the price, I'm pleased.

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I want a machine like this. Just need a place to put it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a power table, they definitely take up space. And with a clutch, they're loud. Mine's not quite up and running because I'm going to be buying a Servo motor, so I'm taking my time with it. I read all kinds of good things about these. They come in several versions and this one is the light- to medium-duty 8700 -- probably the most general purpose. All I need now is a heavy-duty straight and a light-duty zig-zag, a buttonhole machine, button sewer, a patcher... :)

    ReplyDelete