Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Union Special 57700N 4-thread Coverstitch Machine

I just picked this up at a thrift store for $99.  This is a Union Special 4-thread coverstitch machine and it is pristine.  In its original packing materials, it shows no signs of having been used.  It came with its original packing grease, felt insulation strips, mounted on what looks like original ply, a can of Union Special oil that has never been opened, spool tower with platforms/insulation for cones, dust cover, manual, etc.  It's like opening a time capsule.  It also weighs a ton.








Once I do some research on it, I'll update this post.  It's made in USA, so that in itself makes it unusual among the machines I own: very few are American-made. 

5 comments:

  1. Magnificent! I have never seen a machine with a oil level indicator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty cool, isn't it? What's strange is that it's never been used after all these years -- just sitting in storage in its original packaging. I have a lot of projects going on (work, life) but I'd really like to sit down and figure out this machine. Some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any updates regarding this machine???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jean -- No updates yet. It requires a type of table that I don't yet own (still looking, although not very diligently). I'm interested in putting it through its paces but I think I'll probably contact a local industrial service shop and have them set it up for me, table, motor, even a bit of training. If there's anything you want to know about it, I'll do my best to research what you need. Let me know.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spool holder is so charming! Do you sell the spool/thread holder?

    ReplyDelete