Pages

Monday, September 19, 2016

Elna Supermatic No. 3

The Elna Supermatic is usually found in a metal case that unfolds and can be used as an extension table when inserted onto the free arm.  Most of the Supermatics not in a cabinet are found with their cases but some aren't, as the cases get lost or damaged as the years go by.  Such is the 'case' with my no. 2, a machine in good condition considering its lack of protection.  Perhaps it was in a cabinet. 

These cases can be found for sale but often fetch prices well beyond the prices some are charging for a machine + case.  In searching for a case for no. 2, I came across no. 3: basically the same machine but in a less desirable cosmetic condition, no accessories (like no. 2), part of the knee lever missing (but it still works as-is), and -- also like no. 2 -- in need of a new friction drive pulley.  But it has its case, a filthy thing that I haven't even begun to clean. 


There's a little bit of rust on the bottom and it has spots of dried substances and dirt everywhere.  It will take hours to clean and I've just spent a couple of hours cleaning the actual machine, so I will be doing this another time as I have other things to do.  (I note that this is the more desirable case that opens in one piece rather than the two-piece design of which I'm not as fond.)

Here is the machine.  After cleaning, it doesn't look too bad.  Around the edge of the base it has some pitting and paint loss, probably from moisture damage.  The seller was storing it in an unheated garage whose door looked as though it hadn't been closed in years.  (I don't even want to get into what I had to go through -- literally -- to get this machine.  I'm going to be making dinner and I don't want to lose my appetite.)






So I'm faced with the familiar conundrum: I have a machine with (a) missing piece(s).  In order to complete it, I buy another machine.  Now I have a complete machine and another machine with (a) missing piece(s).  See where this goes? 


OK, maybe not this bad but I may be driven to her insanity if I don't spend extra money on parts rather than saving money and buying machines to get those parts. 

For $10, would you have purchased this Elna for the case?  I did and I guess I'll be selling the machine if I don't bond with it first, as I've probably already done since I've caressed it back to decency with cleaning and oiling.  *sigh*



2 comments:

  1. Ms Mouse....I don't believe the FABULOUS MACHINES you find. I am not so lucky in rural MN. YES ... YES .... YES!!!! I would have bought her for 10 dollars...case or no case. You lucky girl...you have been blessed by the sewing machine Gods/Goddesses. Love your blog...a bit envious, but loving it anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michele. Very kind of you to say. My advice is to keep looking. The machines are out there if you check regularly. The Midwest is a gold mine for nice machines; I keep finding really beautiful ones on eBay located all around you. Keep the faith! It takes a little luck sometimes but mostly it's just constant searching.

      Delete