Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Kenmore 385.1884180

Being a sewing machine fiend has its advantages and disadvantages.  One advantage is that you're offered free sewing machines.  A disadvantage is that you're offered free sewing machines.

A very good friend of my mother and a really, really nice guy had to bury his wife recently after a long illness.  It's a sad story because this couple is the kind that I think defines 'salt of the earth.'  They worked hard all their lives, attended church, gave of their modest income and their time to charity (and were always doing favors for their friends), they gardened and gave their friends (including ourselves) the fruits of their labors, and were my mom's friends for decades.

Mary, the wife, sewed on occasion and when her old machine was causing her problems, she and her husband Dick went to Sears to buy a new one.  These are Kenmore people and trusted that great American brand.  For good reason because she happened to buy a machine that is an excellent basic mechanical with 30 stitch types, an enameled aluminum frame that is rock solid, and a silky smooth operation.




I love the early '90s Janome-manufactured Kenmores.  I have or had a few others and have always been impressed, particularly as basic machines that never feel basic and never skip stitches or have finicky tensions or bobbin issues or any number of common maladies.  They're extremely reliable and best of all can be found at thrift stores in very good working order.  (Not to worry.  This example included the power cord/controller.) 

These mechanical machines were produced in a series with an increasing even-numbered stitch count I believe beginning with a 6-stitch model and ending with a 36-stitch.  This one has 30 and also has the two-speed toggle switch which I think began with the 28-stitch model.  The accessory box snaps on/off the front to reveal a free arm and the bobbin is a drop-in class 15.  Presser bar height is high, especially when extended the extra 1/4" or so with the lever so that bulkier projects can be placed accurately.



Mary made a great decision.  She bought a machine that was probably more than she needed and she enjoyed it, according to Dick.  Dick doesn't sew and had no need for it and although he offered it to a member of his family, they didn't want it either.  Knowing about my interests, he offered it to me and this is definitely, squarely in the Advantage of a sewing machine reputation.  

I've purchased more than several machines that were the result of a family downsizing after a parent's or grandparent's death.  But this machine is closer to home and closer to my heart.  I think I'll keep this one for a good long time.



 

7 comments:

  1. I always see good reviews on these machines, but haven't seen one to buy yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're out there and when you do find one, I recommend giving it a try. I can't see spending $150 - 200 on a new mechanical machine when you can find these for next to nothing -- and they're better machines!

      Delete
    2. I saw one at the thrift shop yesterday for $21.50. I didn't buy it because the frugal part of me wanted a price of $8.00. LOL

      Delete
    3. Hehe -- you're more frugal than I am! I'd probably wait for a better price, too. Keep an eye on it and the price will likely fall. Even at $21.50 it's a good buy but anything less than $10 is a steal. I could see myself doing a majority of my sewing on this one and being perfectly happy.

      Delete
  2. I love mine, yard sale for $5. Only downside have to find the presser feet once I can figure shank length for it, and her the reverse button to work

    ReplyDelete