Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Kenmore 158.1813 No. 2

You know the drill.

For the price ($7.50 for this one), I just couldn't leave it behind.  It was filthy, missing its bobbin plate (replaced with a spare), and in a broken case and yet the very first time I threaded it and ran it, the stitches were absolutely perfect.  Perhaps it's that I'm now familiar enough with Kenmores of this era that I know the settings and the 'feel' before I even press the controller.  (At this point, I should.)  Still, for such a little bit of money and the hours of enjoyment I had cleaning (yes, it's true) and oiling it after finding out it sews perfectly, well, a good investment.

This one has the 1.2 amp motor that I just can't get enough of and all the features of a higher-end '70s machine except that this one is a proprietary super-high shank.  These attachments are harder to find, although an adapter for low shank attachments is available and works well, so I've read.  We'll have to give it a try because this is a machine in the running to be my all-purpose zig-zag domestic in my future studio.  The double-belt design (timing and drive, in this case) makes it so incredibly smooth and quiet.  The only issues are that I believe the timing may need a slight adjustment and the stitch selector knob doesn't 'set' into the selection as it should implying a set screw is bit loose or the spring-loaded following arm assembly needs oil in order that it snaps fully into place along the stack.






I already have one of these 1813s and that one is a bit more banged up even though I found it in a cabinet.  I have yet to fully repair a knob that had been twisted right off and once that's done, I will sell it.  These are among the best machines made by Maruzen but considering the number of Kenmores I own, one of these is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment