Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Kenmore 158.1040

My friend Janet has The Gift.  She can spot a great machine a mile away and this one is certainly a great machine.


There are six versions of what is affectionately known as the Keatherweight or Kennie, the venerable series of 3/4 highly portable, extremely versatile machines built in the early to middle 1970s by Maruzen in Japan.  The design was a joint effort between Sears and Maruzen involving three design engineers and their task was to shoehorn as much function into a small form as possible while making it aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing.  Despite its size, this design was no small task and from what I've read, it took several years to nail down.

Beginning with the 1020 (the most basic) and ending with the 1060 (the largest), the 1040 was and remains the most popular and most commonly found.  For those of you used to full-sized machines and/or the small, 1/2-size Singer Featherweight, it's quite an achievement: a lot of features in a small package.  The 1040 includes stretch and utility stitches via a cam stack, a 4-step buttonhole function, and even the plate insert feature -- one of Kenmore's best.  It's all-metal inside, although it weighs in at only about 17 pounds.





The machine comes in its own rose-embossed case which is clamshell-style, secured by two metal latches on the outside, two on the inside (activated by 'buttons' on the rib of the case on its sides).  The machine itself includes two bed extensions, length and width.  This means the total bed size is not that much smaller than a standard machine.  The width extension is actually an accessory box that is rolled forward and can be removed to access the bobbin area.  Kenmore was smart to simply use existing parts such as the full-sized bobbin/hook/race, pressure control, and winder mechanisms, grafting them onto the smaller frame by paying attention to clearances, which are tight.






So how does it sew?  Does the 1040's smaller size translate to a trade off in sewing competence?  Not a whit.  This little machine is a beast and can produce an excellent, fast stitch with the best of them.

There is so much to like about what Sears/Maruzen achieved but what I admire most is that there was absolutely no compromising the quality of the sewing experience.  The machine had not been run in many years and just like virtually all of the full-sized Kenmores I've owned and used, I plugged it in and it sewed a perfect zig-zag stitch right out of the case.  Now that I've cleaned and oiled it (I'm not quite finished cleaning it, as you can probably see in the pictures), it's fast, quiet, and strong.

These are highly collectible machines and if you happen to find one at a thrift store for a great price as Janet did, buy it.  


   

5 comments:

  1. Such a cute machine! And it looks so nice cleaned up. It may make me change my mind about Kenmores. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for offering it to me. I've wanted one for a while and wasn't willing to pay what the market demanded, though the machine is probably worth every penny.

      I hope you'll give Kenmore another try.

      Delete
    2. Well, if I see another one at an equally good price, I'll snap it up just to try it. I know I can always move it along to a true Kenmore aficionado. It looks like it would be an excellent machine to take to workshops and classes.

      Delete
  2. Can I ask how much the price was?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I have this machine in the 158-10401 model. Bought it back in the early seventies. Only machine I've ever had. Love it. Had it stored in the basement for the past 40 years, and since I'm now retired, I finally have time to get back to sewing. YAY! My special stitch selector on top was jammed tight. After a lot of cleaning and oiling, it's now moving fairly smoothly, just one stitch is still not clicking in.. the blind stitch. All others are working well. Set my timing, and that's good now, too. Had issues with not getting any zigzag though. Finally figured out how to adjust the screw on the needle bar (not the one on the needle itself, but above it) and now I'm zigzagging away. I broke the little flip cover above the accessories box.. not the one on the box itself, but the one just above it) and would SO love to replace it! If you have any clue as to where to find one, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you! This little machine is all anyone needs! So durable.

    ReplyDelete