Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Necchi Type 544

I confess: I'm a hoarder.  I recognize it as a problem though and so I'm on my way to recovery.  I now rarely buy machines unless the price is such that I just can't say no and the brand is one I like very much.

Finding a Wolf male dress form on the Spokane CL recently, I decided to do a quick drive and pick it up.  Dress forms aren't that common in the Seattle area despite our reputation as having attracted a large number of 'creative' types -- that is, if local CL and Offer Up listings are a gauge.  (Or perhaps we PNWers are so creative they're being used.)  A Wolf form for $100 in usable condition is a good deal here and finding a male form size 40 (I'm size 42-44) is perfect, as I can pad it out and make it mimic my own size.

The trip is about 4 - 4.5 hours depending upon traffic, 8 - 9 hours round trip.  Worth it, as the drive is pleasant.  My only regret is that I found the listing the night before I left and wrongly assumed my good friend Janet from Kalispell wouldn't be able to meet me there.  (Spokane is a kind of mid-point between us and we've met there twice before.)  It turns out she was in Spokane last weekend with one of her college-age daughters and we could have once again met in real life, real time.  This is important to me because we online friends don't often meet, she's a great person, and life is too short and fleeting NOT to get together.   I won't make that assumption again.

Anyway, I arrived early and stopped by the downtown Spokane Value Village and I spied an interesting looking sewing machine case sitting on one of the shelves:


It doesn't look like a Kenmore, Singer, etc. and sure enough, it houses a Necchi Type 544 -- essentially a Lydia, the model with the cam stack that's prone to cracking:








While in the store, I tried to turn the stitch selection knob.  It wouldn't turn.  Thus, I knew it too suffered from this well-known malady.  But the price was only $6.99 and I decided to go ahead, as this is a model I don't yet own (though it's similar to the Silvia I picked up not too long ago, a machine that happily doesn't have a cracked stack).  I may find use for the controller and the machine runs so well (very quiet and smooth, despite being filthy and full of lint -- now cleaned up about 80%, a project that will keep me busy for a little while) and I may just decide to either purchase a 3D printer and make my own stack or contact someone who has already done so.  Other than this one flaw, it's obviously a very good machine.

So I bought a dress form, an organ donor, a pair of Born shoes, 3 pieces of what Janet calls 'mystery fabric' (I love that) and a nice little day trip.  The weather has cooled and moistened nicely in the last few days, so I feel more myself and less irritable.  I'm getting ready for the fall season and that means cleaning and getting ready for the holidays.  Time to sell a few machines and other items and start making lists of projects.

I hope you're all well!


15 comments:

  1. Mouse, how many cams would need to be made? All or just the broken ones? Any idea on a cost to have made? I have a number of former employee friends who have side businesses who have extensive metal machining capabilities. I used to run a business that "bent a lot of metal", i.e., school bus manufacturer.

    John Thomas in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, John. I have yet to take the stack out of the machine and examine it closely but from what I can see (I've removed the rear panel and have seen the two large cracks down the stack), there are about 15 cams, each around a center rod. I assume the rod has a protrusion that fits into a notch into each cam to provide torque and keep the cams in the correct position. The stack is vertical and the following arm is supposed to move up and down the stack as the stitch selection knob is turned. I will investigate further but my guess is that each cam is about 1/4" - 3/8" thick.

      One problem with Necchi's design is that part of the drive shaft that requires oil resides directly above the stack, meaning oil will necessarily drip onto the nylon/plastic which severely undermines the material's lifespan. Steel would be the ideal material but I imagine labor would be no small consideration!

      I can take pictures of the area and send them along with measurements. I would imagine there are lots of people with Necchis who would be interested in this kind of solution, so thank you for asking!

      Delete
  2. I am trying to cut down on my sewing machine hoarding also. Then a Bernina 840 Favorit comes along at a good price. Oh well, I could have a worse vice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have sprung for the Favorit too. That's a machine you've wanted -- remember you mentioning it. Congrats and enjoy it, guilt-free!

      Delete
  3. I forgive you for not letting me know you were going but don't let it happen again. :) This is a cool machine, though, and I would love to see yours (and everyone else's, for that matter) up and running again with a good durable camstack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesson learned! :D

      This seems to be the problem everyone has with this generation of Necchis and so I would think some enterprising person who can make these stacks would do quite well, especially considering I've been reading about one that is available that 'doesn't fit.' (I've not seen it and don't know the specs.) Steel would be best but perhaps a fiber composite (sold in sheets and cut to spec) is available. They can be very durable, are very easy to machine, and they flex with temperature and moisture. Best of all, they're more resistant to oil.

      Delete
  4. Mouse, I will try to find a 544 here, remove the cams, and see where one of my machinist buddies can take the concept.

    John Thomas in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be great. I don't yet know if there are substantial differences between cam stacks and models. This is a 'Type 544' and there is also the Lydia3 Type 544 and a few other models as well. Regardless, I assume the process is the same.

      I look forward to reading your research!

      Delete
  5. I'm excited to be stalking you now. Nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You found me. Did you do an Images search and notice some similarities in pictures you've seen?

      Thanks. I'm going to be redesigning it. It's boring.

      Delete
  6. Found this thread by accident. My mom passed recently and I found a Necchi Lydia in her closet. I believe it belonged to my aunt. It is frozen and I haven't checked the cam stack, but it is difficult to turn in a couple of spots and I suspect a crack also. I would also be interest in a cam stack. I want to try free motion quilting with this baby. Linda Evers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Linda. You can take a look at the cam stack by taking off the back cover (four screws). Even if the cam stack is shot, the machine could still be a very good straight stitch machine. It's fast and has some strength, too. I have to admit that I bought it because of the Necchi name and its shape -- I love it.

      Delete
  7. I have just been asked to find a "belt" for a Necchi 544- for a machine that is otherwise working very well. Suggestions?? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried an online retailer such as sewingpartsonline.com? They should have the belt you're looking for. Enter 'Necchi 544' or 'Necchi Lydia' in their search text field and go from there. Good luck!

      Delete
  8. Hi I just found your blog. I recently bought a Necchi Lydia 3 and the cam stack is shot. Did you ever have any luck replacing the cam stack?

    ReplyDelete