Pages

Friday, September 16, 2016

Kenmore 158.1601

Does this machine look familiar?



If you're scratching your head and wondering where you've seen this handsome profile, this is another version of the 1802 series machines.  In looking at the machines side-by-side, there are slight cosmetic differences such as the centers of the knobs.  Other than those, the machines are virtually identical.  Both are super-high shank machines and both feature powerful 1.2 amp motors.

Seeing this machine in a cabinet for $14.99, I couldn't help myself.  I don't have this model number and thought I'd be a completist just because it's so inexpensive.  The machine included the original manual, a set of cams, some presser feet, needle threader, buttonhole template guide and buttonhole slide plate with integrated gear, etc.  Excepting an adjustment to the upper thread tension dial (I needed the correct hex to tighten), I found this machine to be in good shape.  A few very small dings but running it proved that it's just one more example of Sears' superior design and Maruzen's superior build quality: a perfect zig-zag stitch the very first time I tried sewing with it.  The low hum it makes is very satisfying and once oiled, this thing really moves.






Over the last year or so, I've been keeping a mental list of the machines I'll include in my sewing studio once that blue moon rises.  For my All-Purpose Domestic Zig-Zag, a Kenmore is likely the first choice.  This one is exceptional and will be in the running to take a star turn on the work room floor, sewing everything from lightweights to denim and heavier twill (which I purchased today).  There are others though and I'll have to consider carefully, as I like so many Kenmore machines and a few others besides. 


No comments:

Post a Comment