Pages

Monday, March 20, 2017

Necchi Supernova Automatica Ultra No. 2

I've been good about not answering online ads but there are times when I just can't not answer and this was one of them.

There it was, a shiny pink SN Automatica Ultra in an original case with all of the original attachments for only $40.  So, I breathed a heavy sigh and made the arrangements with the seller.  A cold March morning (32F -- that's cold in the Puget Sound region at this time of year!) yielded a friendly seller who was happy to get rid of her machine, as she "hates the color."  Yep, you read that correctly.  I guess this kind of dusty rose color isn't for everyone, though I kind of like it.  I would prefer a gray one and I hope to find one -- perhaps even a free arm.     

So now I have two of these.  This one needs oiling and grease, new cords, and about 10 solid minutes of running.  The width knob's a little tight.  Other than that, this machine is just about mint.  I will check the belt but the hand wheel is pulling very well and it's freakishly smooth.  This machine hasn't seen much use at all and the underside is nice and clean.  The case shows a few bumps but it too is in good shape save for the tab that holds the machine down and I can find replacements easily.  No manual.






I really like it when owners keep the sets of attachments with their machines.  The prices of these sets can reach $100 depending upon condition and extras so if you have yours, care for them well!   
 




2 comments:

  1. I really like your new Supernova. I have no problem with the color, particularly given its pristine condition.

    Several weeks ago I was whining on Janet's blog that I rarely see vintage Necchis around here and that I was looking for a Supernova to go along with the BU Mira I already have. This is Singer/Kenmore country. Of course, last week vsm gods saw fit to tempt me with a Goodwill-found Supernova at a very good price - $25! It was a well-used machine, maybe even deemed 'rough shape', with most of the bed's front edge paint missing, a missing drive belt end cover, and scratches bumps and bruises everywhere. The handwheel did turn freely; but the Necchi cabinet had been painted an ugly "shabby chic" greenish yellow and was pretty rough as well. It was fairly complete: cams (only one missing), extra bobbins, various presser feet and special gizmos, a coverless manual, and a good-size plastic bag of RUBBER BANDS. You may wonder about the rubber bands being included. I figured out that the drive belt cover was missing because the previous owner was too cheap to buy a replacement drive belt and was using rubber bands as a replacement drive belt until they broke and needed quick replacing.

    Even though I guess I could have parted out the machine profitably or struggled to find the drive belt cover, I decided to keep looking for one in better condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise. Even though you haven't seen a lot of Necchis in your area, you will find a really nice one at some point. They're common machines so keep the faith!

      Take it from me: there's nothing worse than stacks of sewing machine parts and cosmetically challenged machines sitting around my house.

      My Necchi RZI-8 was being driven not by a belt but by guitar strings. I kid you not!

      Delete