Pages

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Anker FZ

I'm bonkers for Ankers. 

Here is another Goodwill machine, a beautiful green free arm sibling of the RZ (Matic, Deluxe, etc.) zig-zag machines you've seen in these pages.  This is the nicest of the ones I own in condition and in operation.

It's not a particularly fast machine (although I haven't taken a look at the motor, so it may need some service) but it's smooth and strong, just what you'd expect from a mid century German machine.  It includes all of the details of its flat bed brethren and even includes an arm plate integrated with the needle plate: take off the latter gives you access to the removal of the former for oiling and maintenance.  Neat design.





The levers and dials all work perfectly and with the same kind of smooth precision I've come to expect.  The knurled thumbscrew integrated into the length dial is similar in approach to the one found on Adler machines of the same era except that I prefer this lateral dial as opposed to the more standard lever as it's easier to "dial in" an exact setting and doesn't require using another finger for stabilizing an upward or downward motion.  The machine has an automatic buttonhole function via a dedicated lever on the upper left. (No cams in this model.)  Access to the belt is behind a small, vented trap door underneath the hand wheel. 

Based upon aesthetics alone, this would be a favorite free arm machine of all I've seen.  It's even superior to the very fine Phoenix I own, although I prefer this deliberately retro look with the waterfall design on the nose, the large-scale dials, and the overall muscular appeal.  It reminds me a bit of 1930s freight and passenger trains: Deco Utilitarian, I'd call it. 

And of course the color. It's hard to capture the correct color w/out complicated camera settings.  Here's another view:





A really wonderful machine, I think; I'm so glad it crossed my path.



4 comments:

  1. You must have done something that has resulted in the universe smiling upon you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew what it was so I could do it again! :) Now you've got that song from 'The Sound of Music' in my head.

      Delete
  2. Very nice machine, and my favorite color. I'd also choose this over your Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was surprised to find this one. There is a bentwood bed extension for this model that's really beautiful. I've seen one on eBay but I'm not willing to pay that much. Maybe once I've slowed down my collecting. (Yeah, sure.)

      Delete